Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Favorite Ozzie band?

Harry P.

Favorite Aussie band? Never thought about it. I DID really enjoy Keith Urban and Carrie Underwood covering Tom Petty/Stevie Nicks on the American Idol finale last week. Does that count?

Didn't realize till I U2bed it that they'd done this before. Very Most Way Excellent!

Sorry about that Split Enz thing, my only excuse is it was 1:00 AM here and I had a couple adult beverages. ;)

I know a couple Auzzies and Kiwis, so I am aware that they do not like to be confused with each other ,, kinda like Americans and Canadians. Sorry. -_-

Come on, people... get with the program. ^_^

From urbandictionary.com...

An Ozzie or (Aussie) is an Australian slang term to name themselves, often used in chants on Australia day "Ozzie ozzie ozzie" "oi oi oi"

Neat. The funny thing is I'm pretty familiar with Australian Terriers (had two) and Australian Cattle Dogs (my Mom had two), and those dog breeds are referred to as Aussies by their fans, but never heard them referred to as Ozzies.

I think that "Aussie" is pretty much heard when spoken as "ozzie"... so "ozzie" became synonymous with "Aussie."

I've also heard of Australia being referred to as "Oz" many times.

I knew about 'Oz'.....I've worked w/ Aussies and Kiwis before, and was able after a while to distinguish their accents..similar, but with subtle differences...

Of course, they would say it's we who have the accent! :P

Yeah, accents are an interesting topic...I've never thought that I've had much of an accent...if it comes up in casual conversation, people always seem to guess I'm from California, though I grew up in E. Ohio and S. Florida, and as an adult I've lived in NE Ohio, SE Michigan, Colorado and Arizona....

The Bee Gees were English. They moved to Australia with their family as kids in the late '50s. They returned home to England in 1966 and their career as the "Bee Gees" took off.

I believe you Harry you know more then I do about music.  I remember reading this when Robin Gibb Died. It lists them as a Australian group on Wiki..