Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Let's See Some Glue Bombs!

Not sure what your plans are for marrying the Monte and the '74 Cutlass.  Note that the Cutlass is an "S" model, with the semi-fastback roofline, while the Monte's roof (c-pillars and rear window) are more formal. The Cutlass Supreme did share the Monte's roofline/rear window, but shared the same B-pillars and door glass with the Cutlass S and 442.

In comparison, the B-pillars in the Monte (and the Grand Prix) are much closer to vertical.  All of this means the quarter windows on the Monte are unique to it, and totally different than the Cutlass Supreme.  In short, you can transplant the roof from the Monte onto the Cutlass to convert it to a Supreme, but for it to be correct you need to use the Cutlass's B-pillars, which in this case would mean rebuilding the top of the one on the passenger side.

The other problem if you want to convert it to a Supreme is that in 1974 the Supremes had totally different header panels and grilles compared to the Cutlass S, and parking lights in the header panel instead of the bumpers.  Boils down to an awful lot of work if you want to convert it.  My apologies if you're already aware of all this...

Since my first car was a 75 Olds Cutlass Supreme. Using the 77 Monte Carlo will be the closest way to do that car, Just wished Johan would have done it as a Supreme! I thought I did see a Johan 75 Cutlass Supreme promo once But never seen one since. That was in the mid eighty's at a Hobby Shop in Springfield Ohio, Which had long since closed. Maybe the owner of the shop got it from Johan But then Johan decided not to mass produce that version.

Looking though, I could swear I made a few more posts to this thread that are no longer here.  Is anyone deleting posts?  And why?

I haven't deleted any (don't have the power) and don't know why anyone would. Are you thinking of maybe the separate Survivors thread? I believe you had several posts in that one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In gathering what I need for a '34 Ford street rod project, I just got this off ebay for fairly cheap. It's only missing the rear bumper. It's an original maroon-molded 24th scale Monogram, where some long-ago builder only painted the body and nothing else…. but that also included the running boards in green, and the ragtop in three layers - silver, candy apple green and silver on top of that. No offense to the builder, I popped off the running boards and soaked them and the ragtop in Purple Power degreaser. The green peeled off in rubbery sheets, but the silver ended up being a tad more stubborn.

Fun as the color is, it isn't salvageable. The builder didn't primer the body, so as seen on the forward surface of the left rear fender, the paint can be popped right off. I'm wondering if I can peel the whole body without using paint solvents. For my oncoming project, I need the running boards, taillights, bumper and grille. To achieve a particular effect for my project (which everyone will see later in a WIP thread), I have to have a 24th scale grille, which is noticeably larger than the AMT 25th scale one.

576cd45e20661_CApple_34.thumb.jpg.c6cfb3

Did somebody say Falcons?   I have a few.  I bought these over the years, some of them dirt cheap as the seller saw them as "ruined" and only good for parts. So I bought them to save them.  Some of them were dirty and missing parts, so I've cleaned them up, replaced the missing items and added them to my collection.  Sorry for the different size photos, they are in my albums from different times and cameras.

DSC00579IMG 3886MVC-005SMVC-016SRanchero used all the custom parts in the kit!MVC-008S

photos_july252009 059.jpg

Here's one that Howard Cohen gave me, as a bag of broken parts.  Notice the break behind the door, this was assembled as a mock up for this photo.

IMG 2390

And here she is all restored.  I always restore them back to the original builder's intent, never improving them or changing things.

IMG 0070

Here's the classic era interior!  All I did here was vacuumed off 50 years of dust!

The following two cars came to me as a bag of parts cars. I was able to restore two cars out of the three in the bag.  These were rough with play wear. They had body dings and scars all over, broken bumpers ends and missing drip rails.  I got a lot of practice on these!

Mvc-001sMVC-018Srancheros front

This is that same pair, the one on the left is the police car in white primer.

I am too a veteran glue bomb builder, collector, and restorer. One of the last bombs I restored is this Hubley '60 Ford Country Sedan. I picked it up off of Ebay.

DSCF4035_zps3c4d102c.jpg

It was unpainted, decaled, and it had all of the kit included accessories glued to it, including a set of fender skirts, that ruined the ribbed trim on the lower quarter panels.

DSCF4041_zps6ec5bbe9.jpg

DSCF4043_zps843bd981.jpg

DSCF4044_zps9a3d5743.jpg

Since I was not able to save the trim, I removed the chrome trim.

DSCF4055_zps3f335015.jpg

One of the wheels was missing, so I was going to bring it into the 21st Century with a set of 20's.

DSCF4054_zpse9003bef.jpg

I gave it some thought, and decided that I did not want to do a Modernized Ranch Wagon, So I got the idea to do it as a Country Squire. One of the members of our club had started the same project, but for some reason did not finish it. I have seen a few '60 Country squire conversions using the decal stickers. I wanted a 3-d effect, so I made some framing from Plastic sheet.

June82014073_zps41712389.jpg

I added the mouldings on the roof, and drilled holes in the wood framing in order to install the "rivets".

I painted it Black, and I was able to save the roof rack.

June2014MAMAMeeting003_zpsb58d04b3.jpg

I rubbed the finish out, decaled the dark wood trim, hand painted the framing, added the rivets, and Bare Metaled the stainless trim.

I installed a some tuck and roll trim to the interior, and gave it a couple of Surfboards and Water Skis to set it off.

1960%20Country%20Squire%20004_zpspd7bjyu

This one of the Glue-bombs I actually finished. I have done others, and I have several that are in line to be restored.

I always restore them back to the original builder's intent, never improving them or changing things.

I have only recently been trying this philosophy (more or less). I'm almost done with a '68 GTO, about halfway through a '66 Corvette, and will soon start an original '63 Corvette that I bought as glue bombs and originally intended to completely rebuild, but all three have survived the decades in such (relatively) good shape that I thought it would be fun to restore them as genuine period pieces. I simply can't resist touching up the paint, or adding a little trim the original builder missed, but I'm trying to stay true to the original builder's intent, using period parts and materials where possible, and I like to think that the original builders of these would be pleased with them if they could see them again.

Did somebody say Falcons?   I have a few.  I bought these over the years, some of them dirt cheap as the seller saw them as "ruined" and only good for parts. So I bought them to save them.  Some of them were dirty and missing parts, so I've cleaned them up, replaced the missing items and added them to my collection.  Sorry for the different size photos, they are in my albums from different times and cameras.

DSC00579IMG 3886MVC-005SMVC-016SRanchero used all the custom parts in the kit!MVC-008S

photos_july252009 059.jpg

Here's one that Howard Cohen gave me, as a bag of broken parts.  Notice the break behind the door, this was assembled as a mock up for this photo.

IMG 2390

And here she is all restored.  I always restore them back to the original builder's intent, never improving them or changing things.

IMG 0070

Here's the classic era interior!  All I did here was vacuumed off 50 years of dust!

The following two cars came to me as a bag of parts cars. I was able to restore two cars out of the three in the bag.  These were rough with play wear. They had body dings and scars all over, broken bumpers ends and missing drip rails.  I got a lot of practice on these!

Mvc-001sMVC-018Srancheros front

This is that same pair, the one on the left is the police car in white primer.

I really like you Ranchero Police model... You have neat old models that you collect.

Very cool! And Tom, I especially like that primered Ranchero. It has that "lived in" look that I work for but seldom actually achieve.

MVC-018S

Thanks! These two are more rebuilds than survivors. I included them since I was posting Rancheros.  Both of them came from a bag of old Ranchero and Falcon parts I bought many years ago. This was before the rerelease of the Ranchero in modern times so I was scrounging for parts.  This one has always been a 1960, using the grill and bumper from a broken 1960 Falcon promo that was in the bag.  I was missing an interior so I improvised with a custom interior from the '66 T-Bird. This one had all the emblems and door handles shaved off so I went with the missing emblem holes.

MVC-020S

Mvc-001s

This one was built right after the Johan 1959 Rambler wagon came out as a kit and I stole the police gear and decals from it.  Again, this was an original that was all busted up. Lots of work on the body just for repairs.  

• 2 months later...

Rancheros are just so cute, ya can't let 'em go unloved. This one has been languishing in ebay's Automotive Vintage section for a month or two, and the latest price drop was too tempting to ignore. Entertaining concept going on with it, but it needs a bit of refinement and realistic color to the interior ....

Rancherodragster.thumb.jpg.bae5030314693

Edited by Russell C
typo

Picked up some along the way... got this off ebay But ultimately ended up getting a better one and getting rid of this one.

Also this for 10 bucks at a show I was at

2dr Monaco that I picked up at a show

I'll have to snap some pics of the others I have. Eventually

Here are two pictures of the before and two pictures of the after of a 61 Bonneville convertible that I rebuilt.  I traded a new sealed kit for this car cause I really wanted to fix it.  This was in Scale Auto Contest issue a few years back.  I really enjoyed working on this car.

:)  Dan

IMG_0273.jpg

DSC04749.JPG

DSC04750.JPG

IMG_0271.jpg

Edited by 59 Impala
To repost pics