Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 Ford 3 Window - Late 50's Hot Rod

Dennis Lacy

Wicked. Beautiful work as always.

My vote is no moon tank...it makes the front of the car seem a little heavy. That impression might lessen if/when the tank is chromed, though.

Thanks, Chris! I know the Moon tank can be a love/hate thing. It's definitely not for every hot rod. I decided to sit it up there for a look because I was thinking it kind of ties together with the slicks and tough-looking Hemi. I always paint the tanks because I feel like it tones down their presence and they came from Moon in a satin, spun finish. (Although I realize quite a few got polished out.)

Does any resin parts maker do a '29- '32 trunk

lid with the louvers?

Maybe just wishful thinking on my part!?!

David S.

Ed Fluck @ Drag City Casting was offering a repop of the louvered lid from Revell's '32 5-Window but not sure if it's currently available. I have one, very high quality piece. Would be a good question to ask in the resin section...

Spent some time at the bench yesterday and addressed the interior. Using the floor pan, seat and '40 dash from the Revell '32 5-Window and cut down side panels from the Revell '32 Sedan. Made a steering column from .060" rod and put a parts box Bell sprint car wheel on the end of it. The strip across the firewall is a positive stop for the floor and will also make a nice area for glue. It doesn't show when looking through the side windows.

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

I had been using an intake/carbs from another project for previous mock ups so I made up the log intake and carbs that will end up on this car and also got the valve covers with the Moon breather stands mocked up for a look. It's not shown but I also found a mechanical fan that will fit and replace the modern electric and a generator to replace the modern alternator. 

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

At this point I have most everything in place. Hoping to get some bench time today so I can do all the fine prep work to get ready for primer. 

B)

What's the yellow stuff I'm seeing on some of the white parts?

Remains of the chrome being stripped off. Under the chrome is a lacquer clear coat which doesn't always come off completely. On the carb scoops and valve covers I just need to get in there with a toothpick and knock the yellow junk off. 

B)

Since I broke the car down today and did all of the fine clean up work to get ready for primer I decided I'd offer a quick overview of how the wheels & tires were adapted to the kit axles. 

In the front I'm using the tires from Revell's Ed Roth Beatnik Bandit. They are a perfectly sized 50's/60's bias-ply front tire. I used the front '40-'48 Ford style "steelie" wheel outer rim halves from Revell's '32 5-Window. As luck would have it, the outer halves fit right into the tires. All of those '32 kits (except both versions of roadsters) come with the American 5-spokes. Using the inner wheel halves from those, I cut away the centers and glued them directly to the inside of the outer wheel halves. That takes care of mounting the wheels to the front axle. With the tires being considerably narrower than the '32 kit series tires, I thinned the remaining wheel rings down considerably until they were the correct thickness to fit into the tire and butt to the out wheel halves.

Hosted on Fotki

On the rear I'm using the wheels and slicks from Monogram's 'Lil Coffin show rod, which is a heavily modified '32 Sedan. These are what the wheel and tire parts look like.

Hosted on Fotki

I smoothed out the back sides of the 'Lil Coffin wheels then, like the front, I cut the centers out of the '32 series rear wheel inner halves and glued them to the back sides of the wheels. No other modifications were necessary. 

Hosted on Fotki

And, for a parting shot here's a box full of cleaned up chassis and engine parts ready to go to work with me in the morning for primer. (I do all my painting at work.) Once they're finished I'll paint the body and interior parts. 

Hosted on Fotki

B)

Remains of the chrome being stripped off. Under the chrome is a lacquer clear coat which doesn't always come off completely. On the carb scoops and valve covers I just need to get in there with a toothpick and knock the yellow junk off. 

B)

Excellent, thanks. I had no idea what was going on with that.

you are building the same car I did ,I,m still not done with it , well mine is a modern hot rod  though , nice work should be SWEET when it,s done ,

pictures from my new Iphone ,5-27-16 029.JPG

Old Hemi's just look awesome covered in carburetors, don't they? Doesn't look like you're too far from the end, get on it!

B)

Nice version of a classic hot rod.Thanks for sharing!

Knowing who you are, your comment means a lot! I remember one of your models that Tim Boyd showed a picture of in his Modelers Corner from the earlier 90's. It was a blue 40's COE tanker truck with an actual plastic nose on the front and the tank said "Daisy" as in "daisy sniffing stance." Does that model still exist?

B)

Knowing who you are, your comment means a lot! I remember one of your models that Tim Boyd showed a picture of in his Modelers Corner from the earlier 90's. It was a blue 40's COE tanker truck with an actual plastic nose on the front and the tank said "Daisy" as in "daisy sniffing stance." Does that model still exist?

B)

Yes it does.Send me your email address and I'll send some photos if you're intrested.That side marking on the tank of my truck says"Daisy Glue Co."alluding to those of a certain age seeking a cheap high by sniffing glue.The nose is a resin piece made for me as a favor by Don Holthaus.The master was a candy dispenser that dropped a piece of hard candy from a nostril when you pushed in the right place.Real high class rumor there but typical for me.