Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 Ford 3 Window - Late 50's Hot Rod

Dennis Lacy

Most of my projects these days get pretty heavily involved so once in a while it's nice to take a break from all of that and do a straight forward, simple project to get something in the display case. This one came to be after grabbing a complete Revell '32 5-Window chassis parts lot off of the auction place for a whopping(!) 8 bucks. I had a spare 3-Window body kicking around so I decided to combine the two.

The body has been channeled the thickness of the frame and I replaced the modern looking firewall with the more retro looking piece from AMT's '32 Phantom Vicky which is also recessed but has stock style raised bead design on it. The radiator shell was notched to drop it down yet still sit on the front cross member and the radiator was chopped to match. 

The chassis will be right out of the box, no lowering or anything. The only modification is the removal of the stock gas tank and shortening of the rear frame rails to work with the channeled body.The front wheels are from the 5-Window but have been narrowed to fit into the bias-ply tires from Revell's Ed Roth Beatnik Bandit. The rear wheels and slicks are Monogram 'Lil Coffin show rod adapted to the kit axle. I'll also be ditching the kit disc brakes in favor of early Ford drum brake plates.

Interior will get the '40 dash and tuck & roll seat from the 5-Window with scratch built inner door structure instead of upholstery panels.

Engine is the Chrysler Hemi from the 5-Window but will get the M/T valve covers with Moon breathers from Revell's Mazmanian Willys and parts box log manifolds with 6 carburetors from Revell's Ed Roth Tweedy Pie. 

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

So, just in the early stages right now. More detail work to come.

B)

You have so much to take in all at once

here just for your opener. But one things

for sure, I'm going to love this build!

Dang it, it just reminds me that I need

to find me a couple of those '32 5 window

coupes from Revell.

David S.

As always, very cool Dennis.

I have tons of those Revell 3 window bodies, and I don't think I've ever seen one with such heavy mold lines on the rear of the roof. Wow

I'm tuned in, waiting for more

Just what I was thinking!  Looks great so far tho!

That for the comments, everyone. I think this thing should end up being decently cool when it's done. 

As always, very cool Dennis.

I have tons of those Revell 3 window bodies, and I don't think I've ever seen one with such heavy mold lines on the rear of the roof. Wow

I'm tuned in, waiting for more

Yeah, those parting lines are pretty rough, aren't they?! From what I hear the first run of the 3-Window kit was supposed to be pretty good with each subsequent release getting worse. But, that doesn't make sense because this is a first issue body and it needs a lot of help. I'll be spending lots of time with files and sandpaper. 

B)

Had some free time this afternoon so I spent a couple of hours on this. 

To start off, I decided that the body looked a little plain so I fit the louvered trunk lid from Revell's '32 5-Window. A 3-Window has a wider lid and the curve of the rear of the body isn't as sharp as a 5-Window. I used the lid as a guide to mark the horizontal cuts then re shaped the lid to match the 3-Window body curvature by manipulating it by hand. The plastic is pretty soft and re shapes easy. 

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

I also smoothed out all those nasty mold parting lines that a couple of you pointed out. 

Hosted on Fotki

I then turned my attention to the back end of the frame. The gas tank was cut out previously and the rails shortened to just under the lip of the body. I cleaned up that area, added a frame spreader bar made from .080" rod and made a floor panel out of .040" sheet. I also added the cool little nerf bumpers from the 5-Window. 

Hosted on Fotki

These are the valve covers from Revell's Mazmanian '41 Willys. They are the same M/T design that comes with the Hemi I'm using from the 5-Window but have the really cool Moon breather stands. I figured these paired with the 6-carb intake should make the engine look plenty tuff. 

Hosted on Fotki

Here's some mock ups after today's work. All of the chrome has been stripped from the chassis components. I also added a frame spreader bar to the front made from .060" rod. I put together the really nice Moon auxiliary tank from the 5-Window and propped it up to see how it would look. Should I leave it?

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

B)

Thanks for the comments, guys! Looks like the Moon tank is staying. B) 

Looks great so far Dennis. On a 1:1 when the remove the stock gas tank where is the new tank typically installed - in the trunk?

Thanks! Yes, there's all kinds of room in there and that's where it will be implied that the tank is in this one. ;)