Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bob, I know nothing about the kit. But a friend of mine restores wooden boats and I've seen a lot of Chris craft over the years with the original engines. I've seen small block Chevy engines, early hemis and even slant six engines used. Kind of like mercruiser, omc etc. They don't manufacture their own engines they use modified automotive engines. So, I'm not quite sure if it helped you, but any engine could really be a Chris craft.  Ken

Does anybopdy know the prototype of the AMT1/25 boat 3in1 kit from 1959 or 1960? It has a Chris Craft inboard engine or so it says. 

The Chris Craft engine I believe was a flat head six. In the late '40's and '50's I believe that Chris Craft used an engine supplied by Gray Marine, and it was an adaptation of a Chrysler six cylinder. I'm sure there were other engines also and I think this would have been their standard engine.   

At the time I built the kit, I did a little research online. It is based on a real Chris-Craft boat. I don't remember much about it. But I was able to find photos of a Chris-Craft boat that matched the AMT kit fairly close. It's seems to me that it was based on a boat that Cris-Craft offered only for a few years during the 1950s. But it is based on a real Chris-Craft boat they manufactured for a few years.

Edited by unclescott58

I have a book about Chris Craft that of course I can't find right now. I can't find the exact cockpit layout that the kit represents, but I found a couple of other styles. Though by that time they were more or less production line built, you could order a custom layout and also specify if you wanted a bright (varnished mahogany) or painted hull. They had started to produce more of the open cockpit layouts by that time, so you could build one like the kit and another with the open style. Also this kit looks very nice covered in thin mahogany veneer and varnish.

Edited by oldcarfan
Photobucket is a jerk, that's why

Most likely the AMT kit is modeled after a Chris-Craft model called Racing Runabout. Offered from the late 1940's through the mid-to-late 50's. There was also similar pre-war Chris-Craft model called the Deluxe Runabout offered in the 1930's. But, looking at the boats online, I'd be willing to bet AMT's kit is the Racing Runabout.

Edited by unclescott58