Model Cars Magazine Forum

1954 Hudson Hornet Club Coupe

jjsipes

Here ianother one that I got painted between the rain falling this week. It's the Moebius 1954 Hudson Hornet Club Coupe. This is the thrid good around at trying to paint this one. First I had it a Dark Metallic Red with a Black roof but that just wasn't doing it for me. So I stripped it and went another direction. Testors Tropical Turquoise and Tamita Racing White. I'm digging this more.

Just do not know what to do for interior though. I am looking at the dash possibly being Model Master Interior Metallic Blue but then I don't know what to do for the rest of it. Want to try and stay stock looking with it.

Here's the colors together.

I like your exterior colors. I'd go with a similar turquoise color for the interior.

I don't know how "factory correct" it would be, but the car would also look good with an ivory interior to play off the roof color. Maybe a combo turquoise-ivory two-tone interior? Could look pretty slick.

The correct interior colors are dark blue, dark brown, and a medium gray. I have seen (somewhere,) mention of green, as well. The colors you have here aren't too far off from Symphony Blue-Green Light, a 1952-53 color. It is entirely possible Hudson would have built a car with that scheme on special order.

I would use the blue with these, as that was a common Hudson practice. Testors Sea Blue is pretty good. The accents would be a medium blue. Sea Blue with a couple of drops of white will get you to the ballpark. 

The dashes were usually painted body color, at least on the older Step-Downs. From what I have been able to surmise, '54 matched the interiors. 

Although this is a Hollywood (and I'm not sure about the upholstery pattern itself,) the colors and materials are correct for Step-downs and will give you a general idea. http://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=16150

Charlie Larkin

I like your exterior colors. I'd go with a similar turquoise color for the interior.

I don't know how "factory correct" it would be, but the car would also look good with an ivory interior to play off the roof color. Maybe a combo turquoise-ivory two-tone interior? Could look pretty slick.

I like Harry's interior idea. The turquoise and white exterior looks great!

Sam

Not sure how you would feel about this, but in that era a lot of manufactures had the dash and window moldings painted to look like a wood grain pattern. Just a thought if you wanted it to look a little different.    

Thanks guys fir your thoughts and comments. Still trying to figure out what I want to do for the interior colors. IN the mean time, I have started to foil the trim. Spent about 1 1/2 hours last night on it while watching SpinOut with Elvis. Got one side just about completed.

Messing around with the interior and this is what I came up with. Not sure I like it but, you don't really see alot of it once its built and on the shelf. I used Testors Interior Blue/Green and Randome Tan and Tamiya Semi-Gloss clear to enen out the sheen.

I don't have the body at hand right now (it's at home and I'm at work) but, here is a hood from a 56 Ford F-100 that is the same Tropical Turquiose color that the Hudson was painted.

stunning colors ! i'd go with harry .. that dash in the tamiya white would really pop btw ....dont worry about factory colors i'd say ...

I couldn't agree more, no reason to limit oneself regarding colors, unless a factory stock (for the period) appearance is sought.

• 1 month later...

stunning colors ! i'd go with harry .. that dash in the tamiya white would really pop btw ....dont worry about factory colors i'd say ...

I agree, totally classy. (Oops, I didn't realize this was already finished. I'll go over and check it out.)

Edited by Roadrunner