Model Cars Magazine Forum

59 Impala

Bert

My favorite dash of all times came out great in your build ... especially like the PE items used!

I'm with you on that BMF issue ... I have a '59 myself that has been stalled for 20 years because I couldn't finish the BMF! My fingers ... and steadiness ...seem to be improving as I've done a few trim jobs pretty well. This is a build of the one I owned

Well from the pics I can see I'm getting old & shaky, I wish I could get better at applying bare metal foil. It is what it is, fun to buld with all the mods I did.

59 imp ls.JPG

59 imp engine.JPG

59 imp chassis.JPG

59 imp dash.JPG

Really nice job. My Mom had an original in blue. This will be one I'd like to do. Thanks again for showing us your work.

Yes, the wheels and tires are from the Tamiya F50. I contacted the Tamiya America parts ordering # and told them what I needed, and ordered 3 sets of them, and a couple of sets of wheels. it cost me a lot less then the kits are going for.

Edited by Bert

This will show you how crazy I am to get the right look. The front half of the frame is AMT's 67 impala Street machine. the rear half is Amt's 57 Chevy Bel Air Street Machine( I love this kit, lots of good parts}. Other part I used were off the Revell Corvette C5-R for the a arms and other cool looking stuff that just fit. I added plastic tubing to the frame to make it look stronger, and scratch built a working rack and pinion steering. the inspiration for this car was the Street Rodder road tour Impala.

road tour impala.jpg