Model Cars Magazine Forum

1957 Desoto

jjsipes

Just got this in the mail from JImmy Flintstone. A resin 1957 Desoto that uses the AMT 1957 Chrysler 300 as a donor. A little rough around the edges but the body itself is pretty great. Time to soak and then clean it up for primer. Onto to researching for colors.

I just took a look at the Desoto front bumper that comes in the AMT bumpers and grilles parts pack and not only is it chrome already it looks to be correct for a non-bumper guard car.

I bought my first Flintstone kit a while back & was very impressed with the quality.

It was the '61 Oldsmobile, & while the casting is pretty thick, it's almost as perfect as a styrene kit.

I found one tiny pinhole in mine.

As far as colors go, I have a book with this photo in that I think is one of the most handsome cars I've ever seen, & the color combo is glorious!

I'm assuming the colors are "Sahara Tan" & "Mandarin Rust", & my oh my do they look nice together!

Steve

photo DSCN5179_zpszjvpgqi5.jpg

The 57 DeSoto is my favourite American car and I've long been tempted by this (and the Modelhaus) kit. I just can't get friendly with resin the way I am with styrene. But I'm certainly looking forward to progress here.

BTW If you wanted to go with dual headlights, the AMT 57 Chrysler items should fit - but I suppose you've already thought of that.

I bought my first Flintstone kit a while back & was very impressed with the quality.

It was the '61 Oldsmobile, & while the casting is pretty thick, it's almost as perfect as a styrene kit.

I found one tiny pinhole in mine.

As far as colors go, I have a book with this photo in that I think is one of the most handsome cars I've ever seen, & the color combo is glorious!

I'm assuming the colors are "Sahara Tan" & "Mandarin Rust", & my oh my do they look nice together!

Steve

photo DSCN5179_zpszjvpgqi5.jpg

I like that too Steve but I also likethis one.

And this one.

And then there is always this scheme.

So many choices for a beautiful car.

I like that too Steve but I also likethis one.

1957_DeSoto_Fireflite_2-door_hardtop_003

And this one.

115983_Front_3-4_Web_zpsug9953d4.jpg

And then there is always this scheme.

187813_Front_3-4_Web_zpsfmdi3uda.png

So many choices for a beautiful car.

Very true!

I especially like the gray & orange combo.

After looking at some paint chips, I found that Desoto offered a color in '57 on the Firesweep called "Dusty Orange".

I wonder if that's not the color we're seeing in these photos.

Steve

You've got my attention! One question though............does the body have the Desoto scripts on them? I thought that the set I have from MCG for the Chrysler 300C had them on there but they don't. :(

Ooooo! That is one beautiful car! That color is perfect for that one!

Hmmm.................. ;)

You've got my attention! One question though............does the body have the Desoto scripts on them? I thought that the set I have from MCG for the Chrysler 300C had them on there but they don't. :(

Ooooo! That is one beautiful car! That color is perfect for that one!

Hmmm.................. ;)

No scripts on body Just the little emblem on the front fender on the trim that seperates the colors. It does have the hood emblem as well.

I am waiting for my donor kit.  Will let everyone know as soon as I know. I am hoping that it does.

It probably will, but I would plan on doing some grinding to get it to fit properly.

The Flintstone castings are pretty thick.

The AMT '62 Belair glass will work in my '61 Olds but I had to do quite a bit of thinning around the windshield opening to get it to fit, & it's still not perfect.

The fit would probably be much better with vacu-formed glass.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

• 2 weeks later...

Got my donor and have had a chance to look at it to see how things will work. With a little work in the body due to thickness of resin the windows from AMT 57 Chrysler will work. After this past weekend, my office where the resin body was got hot and humid, 90 degree weather, and the body wasn't sitting flat on my table, it warped all to heck. Had me worried but, sink full of hot tap water and a short bath in it, it's back in shape. So I am in the works of working and trying to get the chassis, floor pan fitted to try and keep this from happening again.