Model Cars Magazine Forum

A MT /round 2 1970 Camaro's

By the way, on the Baldwin Motion Camaro I am building, the large dimple on the roof and the swirling plastic flaws were completely eradicated with sanding alone, no need for filler. I primed last night to check on the sanding from the previous night, and all was fine.

By the way, on the Baldwin Motion Camaro I am building, the large dimple on the roof and the swirling plastic flaws were completely eradicated with sanding alone, no need for filler. I primed last night to check on the sanding from the previous night, and all was fine.

Yah, as I mentioned, I was eventually able to work mine out to where it'll look good in bare green plastic.

• 3 years later...

I guess I missed this topic and its divergence, so I was surprised to see the AMT '70 Chevrolet Camaro kit's body has molded in vinyl top texture:

AMT70Camaro1.jpg.0fc65a1a13116ae08dd41e83ef9d7034.jpg

Back to the comparing and critiquing, using Mike's earlier image and a photo of a real non-RS car. The real car's headlight bezel shape is definitely not a pure circle, but the squaring off is very subtle. The outer beveled edge of the AMT kit's parking light lenses are too squared off, too, but the inner edges look better than those on the MPC kit.

AMTvsMPC70sCamaro.jpg.116ef39bed9237d6b557f2973628d7c3.jpg

70camarofullbump.jpg.ffd532e125e4da50c54f4e32f795e37e.jpg

And just because they are handy and the box art is appealing (love that the mechanic has the BFH in hand)...:

AMTCamaroSS350for73.jpg.768d4d52f0bf28a10abb23353f22232e.jpg

Long side of AMT '70 Camaro box: 

AMT70Camaro2.thumb.jpg.f4018459964f686b122fd34ad6176b82.jpg

Edited by Casey

I just scored a '73 screwbottom promo on eBay (don't have it yet). It's a RS so I guess it was made by MPC. It's missing the right A-pillar, but I think I can fix that; otherwise quite workable. Seems to have full wheel covers. Not sure what I'll do with it, but the price was very reasonable. 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

I just scored a '73 screwbottom promo on eBay (don't have it yet). It's a RS so I guess it was made by MPC. It's missing the right A-pillar, but I think I can fix that; otherwise quite workable. Seems to have full wheel covers. Not sure what I'll do with it, but the price was very reasonable. 

AMT made the '70 promo only.  MPC picked it up from there, the '73 was the last one.  Their '73 promo has RS trim and wheel covers, while the kit has oversize Z/28 emblems and five-spoke "factory mag" wheels.

4 hours ago, Mark said:

AMT made the '70 promo only.  MPC picked it up from there, the '73 was the last one.  Their '73 promo has RS trim and wheel covers, while the kit has oversize Z/28 emblems and five-spoke "factory mag" wheels.

Here's a built-up MPC '73 annual I picked up recently.

It looks a bit odd with a Z/28 nameplate engraved on the trunklid, yet there is no rear spoiler.  One would assume the spoiler would be standard equipment on the Z/28, but at least one source I checked shows the F/R spoilers as optional in '73.   

z1973.JPG

On 11/8/2019 at 12:06 PM, pack rat said:

Here's a built-up MPC '73 annual I picked up recently.

It looks a bit odd with a Z/28 nameplate engraved on the trunklid, yet there is no rear spoiler.  One would assume the spoiler would be standard equipment on the Z/28, but at least one source I checked shows the F/R spoilers as optional in '73.   

z1973.JPG

It suprised me too.  The rear spoiler was an option, it seems, even as far back as '71 or maybe even '70.5.  Shortly thereafter, they created a new option that combined both the front valence and rear spoiler into one package that could be ordered on any Camaro, even the base 6-cyl coupe.  However, they still kept the single rear spoiler option (D80), now the taller 3 piece unit since mid '71, as optional equipment on the Z28.   The twin hood and deck lid skunk stripes were an option on the Z28 as well.  So, you could basically order a Z28 with no stripes and no rear spoiler during this time.  Weird stuff.

Edited by the other Mike S.

The tall rear spoiler was produce to homologate it for racing. It was used in the 1970 Trans Am series, which began in April 1970. I scratch built a very crude  tall spoiler on an AMT Camaro that I began on June 6, 1970.  I remember the date because the TV news said that Bruce McLaren had been killed that day.