Model Cars Magazine Forum

1937 Ford Custom Convertible/Boyd Smoothster

Bumblebi

Basically finished with this one, after I screwed up the paint on some parts of the body, grew tired of it, and let it sit for almost half a year. Kit is Lindberg's 1937 Ford Custom Convertible, which basically is Testor's Boyd Smoothster from 1997.

20160607_135135_zpsfkx8eywr.jpg

20160607_135151_zpsxoq6txdz.jpg

20160607_135203_zpsrxshpdkv.jpg

20160607_135215_zpsxkpxkc0p.jpg

20160607_135248_zpspetmukxe.jpg

20160607_135321_zps851xyfrm.jpg

20160607_175609_zpsytnye0x3.jpg

20160607_175614_zpswbufrh1n.jpg

20160607_175623_zpsseqc2flj.jpg

Edited by Bumblebi

Looks good to me! Overall it seems quite clean and well sorted. Congrats on finishing it!

Was the Lindberg version of this kit molded in hard styrene, similar to other kits? The reason I ask is I have one of the old Testors versions, and it was molded in a very soft plastic. The frame in particular was a total joke, wouldn't hold its shape at all. I've never seen plastic like that in any other kit, except for a couple of the 1/18th scale snap-together "American Graffiti" kits.

If I could find a version of this kit molded out of the right kind of plastic, I'd be more inclined to actually build it.

Looks good to me! Overall it seems quite clean and well sorted. Congrats on finishing it!

Was the Lindberg version of this kit molded in hard styrene, similar to other kits? The reason I ask is I have one of the old Testors versions, and it was molded in a very soft plastic. The frame in particular was a total joke, wouldn't hold its shape at all. I've never seen plastic like that in any other kit, except for a couple of the 1/18th scale snap-together "American Graffiti" kits.

If I could find a version of this kit molded out of the right kind of plastic, I'd be more inclined to actually build it.

Thanks! I'm fairly satisfied with it so I'm happy :) 

The kit is molded in very sturdy styrene, the body didn't have any flex what so ever. I had a small issue where the completed chassis (Before the body was put on that is) would three-wheel a little, but the body weighed it down so there is some flex in the plastic, but imo it's pretty decent.

Only thing I didn't like with the kit was that mounting points for some parts were non-existing, but that's a bit OT to your question.

Very nice. Looks sharp!!

Thank you Terry!

Turned out really well, but seeing the Boyd's Speedster gets me angry, as this is one of the two kits that I got screwed over on with a scammer. Not you obviously, but was someone around here. Grr.

Still, great build!

Sad to hear that Dan, sh*t like that always sucks..

Thank you! :)