Model Cars Magazine Forum

1941 Chevy pickup - Revell 1/25

I'm not a truck kinda guy but the look of this pickup really appealed to me - perhaps it's the art deco influence on its styling.

I don't have the painting skills to duplicate a worn, torn and abused example of this truck so I went the slightly easier route of creating a restored stock version.

The kit was a pleasure to build but I did run into a couple of areas that required some extra thought and attention. The attachment of the spare tire was flimsy at best and I had to modify some parts to get a more secure fit. The locations where the rear fenders attach to the truck bed do not have any positive locating/attachment points so some careful trial fitting was required. Once I had determined where the fenders would mate to the box I glued some small pieces of plastic on the box to correctly locate the fenders during final assembly.

The floor of the bed is the supplied kit decal which required numerous applications of Solvaset to get it to conform properly. I lucked out in getting a (close enough for me) paint match on the stakes on the side.

The whitewalls were surplus decals from the Revell 32 Ford kit. Again, Solvaset was required to get the decals to conform to the tire contours.

This kit was a pleasant diversion from what I usually build but I may stray from the norm yet again - I just found out that there is a kit of the 1937 ford pickup!

1941 Chev truck 005.jpg

1941 Chev truck 006.jpg

1941 Chev truck 007.jpg

1941 Chev truck 008.jpg

1941 Chev truck 001.jpg

1941 Chev truck 002.jpg

1941 Chev truck 003.jpg

1941 Chev truck 004.jpg

Nice job, the '41-47 Chevy is one of my favorite pickup trucks. One tricky bit with this kit is there is a piece of the grill that should be body color between the upper horizontal bars and the lower vertical bars. Not a big deal on a restored truck though as it is not uncommon to see this piece chromed on many 1-1 restorations as well.

You can see the bit I'm referring to in this photo

http://s.hswstatic.com/gif/1941-chevrolet-series-ak-pickup-2.jpg

The '37 Ford is also a nice kit, if you had fun with this one and are looking for another truck I think you would be happy with that one as well.