Model Cars Magazine Forum

Clear coat or not?

So I just finished spraying this body. I used testors metallic copper thinned 1:1 with lacquer thinner. It didn't come out as glossy as the last testors metallic I used but I kind of like the look. I'm on the fence with clearing it or not so, if anyone has used it before and has photos with it clear coated that they can share that would be great! 

Also what clears do you use over the 1:1 ratio? 

Edited by 1hobby1

Wow, That's a nice color! and I like the "suede" look it has not cleared.... If you're building it as a pro-touring car, it would look good with black wheels and some black trim.

Just an idea, but it's your build, friend...... do as you'd like!

that's a really good idea! I'm actually building this as a Gasser, and was thinking of doing a gunmetal color wheel. I do like the way it came out also, almost feels period correct without a high-gloss. But I wonder how much this color pops with some clear coat. Might have to try it on a spoon first.

What about a matte clear? If you have any of the paint left, go to the dollar store and get a bag of cheap plastic spoons. Spray a couple of the same way you painted the car then use a normal clear on one and a matte on another, could try a semi gloss clear as well and see which you like best.

David

Not to open another bag of snakes, but this might be a good use for Future. You can brush (or airbrush) on a couple coats and see how it looks, and if you don't like it, you can wash it right back off with household ammonia without hurting the underlying copper.

I think that I would give it some sort of clear coat.

If this is the paint that I think it is, it's extremely fragile & is prone to all sorts of problems.

The Testors Metallic silver, copper & gold can have some real adhesion problems.

Since you thinned it with lacquer thinner, it may not have quite the same issues, but I wouldn't be too sure.

Steve