Model Cars Magazine Forum

1924 Fiat Mefistofele

I'm not nearly as die-hard into detail as you are. I'll settle for Copper paint! B)

I disagree. You have an undeniable way of covering the whole presentation with layers of detail. I have to exert a lot of complex effort to match that.

I envy and admire that you have the knack for simpler but equally effective stuff to make a real feast for the eye. And you're miles faster than me...

:(

The engine looks fantastic ! Your photos are nice and sharp as well. Feeling better ??

Thanks for asking, Ray... but the truth us, I feel like crap. In fact I was in so much pain all through last night I couldn't sleep at all. Not even five minutes. And you can imagine how "wonderful" one feels the next day after having not slept the entire night before. In the morning I feel like a zombie. A zombie in pain.

The prescription painkillers, muscle relaxants, etc. just don't seem to be working. And twice a week physical therapy sessions have had zero effect. Now my orthopedist wants me to have two MRIs taken, in the hopes that they can figure out what the heck is wrong with me.

I was in so much pain today, all day, that sitting was excruciatingly painful. All I could do was build for maybe 5-10 minutes, then I had to get up and walk around. Just couldn't stand to sit in a chair longer than that. So the "progress" I've made on this model has been at the expense of really severe pain... enough to make me just want to give up at times. But I've decided that to give up isn't the way to go.

I disagree. You have an undeniable way of covering the whole presentation with layers of detail.

It's actually very simple. Not necessarily layers of detail. Just two basic "tricks" to fool the mind's eye into thinking there's more there than there really is.

1. Paint detailing.

Even if a kit part is molded as one piece, if the real thing is made up of several pieces, like the carb linkage in this case, painting the individual "pieces" in slightly different shades give the illusion of far more parts than are actually there.

2. Black wash.

IMO, the single most effective detailing trick there is. Nothing takes away the "model" or toylike look better than a black wash. If you take a close look at my engine shots, you will see that everything has been black washed. Everything. The more details molded in, the more "nooks and crannies," the more effective a black wash is in presenting a realistic look. The effect is amazing. It might not be an actual "apples to apples" approximation of reality, but the look it gives a model is just amazing.

Darn, was thinking you were on the mend as well since the great progress on the Fiat

So sorry to hear of your pain.  Nothing worse than pain making it too uncomfortable to sleep...my back does that every once in a while.

Disk degeneration, sciatica or shingles?? Or do they even have a diagnosis yet???

hope you get sorted out :)

Disk degeneration, sciatica or shingles?? Or do they even have a diagnosis yet???

Initially they figured sciatica, based on the symptoms and location of the pain.

I did get my hip X-rayed, and all looked perfectly normal. They didn't see anything that would be the cause of the pain. But of course an X-ray only shows bone detail, not soft tissue. But at least they did rule out hip joint degeneration.

But since the typical meds to relieve sciatic pain aren't working, doc wants an MRI to see what's going on in there. He did mention disk degeneration, herniated disk, compressed disk, etc. I guess the MRI will tell all. But in the meantime, man, it hurts.

When you get your MRI done, Harry, you may have to see if they have a machine that you can stand in, that's what they used on Dad when he blew out his shoulder. He's a big guy too, and the table machine was too small for him to fit into...........

You guys bemoan the Pocher kits for lack of detail so much, They almost don't seem worth the price, but this kit seems to outshine those with the kit supplied details and may be more for the money! Awesome work, Harry...........

Tim, don't misunderstand me... Pocher kits are the bomb! Nothing else comes close. True, their level of engine detail isn't always up to snuff and a detail nut like me needs to scratchbuild what they left off. But at 1/8 scale, they offer a perfect opportunity to go nuts, detail-wise.

True, in this particular case, the engine in this kit outshines most Pocher engines. But the reason Pocher prices are so high is simple... they aren't being made anymore (well, not the "classics")... so finding a complete, unbuilt Pocher classic is becoming harder and harder (and more and more expensive) to find as time goes by. This kit was just released last year, so it's going to be easy to find for many years.

The kit includes a die-cut acetate template for the builder to spray the FIAT logo onto the grille.

I wish they would have molded the grille shell and the grille itself as separate pieces, but it's all one... which means I had to first spray the shell "brass," then do some really careful masking and spray the grille black. Tamiya masking tape is a must for masking this kind of thing. It creates an absolutely sharp line with no paint bleed, yet removes easily without damaging the paint. Great stuff.