Model Cars Magazine Forum

1924 Fiat Mefistofele

That's soot that blew through the less than perfectly sealed exhaust manifold.

ahh, good, your soot looks fine. I heard this engine blew out a lot of oil as well.

I like to black wash and slightly weather my builds, but likely won't make them look abused and uncared for....as I care for my own real cars obsessively .

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

Got the belly pans installed. I'm down to two last steps... fitting the hood, and the drive chains.

Fitting the hood is the easy part. Those drive chains are the thing I've been putting off. Still looking for some 1/12 scale pre-assembled roller chain. I have found several sources... just have to decide who to go with, and this baby will be ready to go "Under Glass!"

Ok... I tried building the chains today and quickly discovered that it's impossible!

The way they designed the parts, the individual links are spaced out in a line on little individual parts trees. You stack them in the correct order (four layers) and then you're supposed to do the "flatten down the extending pin with heat" thing. Problem is, at 1/12 scale, it's impossible to heat those tiny extended pins enough to flatten them without also "merging" them into the faces of the links themselves. And that being the case, when you cut the links free from the trees, the chain wouldn't be flexible, and would break in a million places as you tried to shape it around the sprockets. The individual chain links, in 1/12 scale, are just too thin to withstand the "flatten by heat" method. Impossible to do.

So I'm going with Plan B: Plastic chain and matching sprockets from Grandt Line. The chain is designed so that you just snap the links together to form any length of chain you need. I found chain and sprocket sizes that are not quite exactly the same as the model parts, but very close... the difference should be invisible to the casual viewer. Not exactly cheap (the amount of chain I need plus the four sprockets comes to almost $30), but it will work, and look good. This is the way the kit chains should have been engineered!

http://www.grandtline.com/products/mrr/mrr details/transmission_components_sprockets.html

Ok... I tried building the chains today and quickly discovered that it's impossible!

The way they designed the parts, the individual links are spaced out in a line on little individual parts trees. You stack them in the correct order (four layers) and then you're supposed to do the "flatten down the extending pin with heat" thing. Problem is, at 1/12 scale, it's impossible to heat those tiny extended pins enough to flatten them without also "merging" them into the faces of the links themselves. And that being the case, when you cut the links free from the trees, the chain wouldn't be flexible, and would break in a million places as you tried to shape it around the sprockets. The individual chain links, in 1/12 scale, are just too thin to withstand the "flatten by heat" method. Impossible to do.

So I'm going with Plan B: Plastic chain and matching sprockets from Grandt Line. The chain is designed so that you just snap the links together to form any length of chain you need. I found chain and sprocket sizes that are not quite exactly the same as the model parts, but very close... the difference should be invisible to the casual viewer. Not exactly cheap (the amount of chain I need plus the four sprockets comes to almost $30), but it will work, and look good. This is the way the kit chains should have been engineered!

http://www.grandtline.com/products/mrr/mrr details/transmission_components_sprockets.html

At least you found some chain. You really didn't think the kit chain process would work and you was right...

For those of you who have been following along on this project, you'll remember that when I left off I was trying to build the kit drive chains. Because of the tiny size of the individual links, and the fact that the links are designed to be "riveted" together by melting the tiny protruding pins on each side of the chain, building the chains is not hard... not challenging... not tricky... but literally impossible, as I described in a previous post.

So I decided to go with aftermarket chain and sprockets, which I found at Grandt Line. I found drive chain and sprockets that are probably within 5% of the size of the kit parts... and at 1/12 scale, that difference will be all but invisible. But until my chains and sprockets arrive, all I can do is a few "baby steps" until they get here.

First, the kit windshield. I have no idea why this car would even have a windshield, as all it does is add wind resistance... the driver's goggles would be all the "windshield" the car needed, but there is one. The frame is on the "aluminum" tree, so I toned it down by spraying it with Testors Transparent Black Window Tint, and then blackwashed the adjustment wing nuts to bring out the detail. The "glass" is a kit-supplied piece of die-cut acetate that I attached to the frame with Future...

68_zpsksukhy6k.jpg

One of the very few details not included in the kit is the radiator overflow tube. Going by my reference photos, I used copper wire to represent the copper tubing, and some soft, flexible rubber tubing that I found at Hobby Lobby in the jewelry aisle for the connector. Also in this photo you can see the scratchbuilt attachment bolts for the wooden frame rail "caps," which I had to scratchbuild because I replaced the kit's molded plastic caps with real wood caps.

And finally... got the crank handle and the steering assembly installed. And yes, the steering really does work through the steering wheel! :D

Once my Grandt Line drive chains and sprockets arrive, all that's left is to install them, install the hood, the wheels, and the seat, and this baby will be finished!

More baby steps. I added the red piping on the seat because that's what the real one looks like. I didn't have the right color of soft, insulated wire, so I took some of what I had (orange) and painted it red. Before gluing it in place, of course. Once I had all the piping glued on I sprayed the seat with a satin clear to even out the tones (but really to hide the CA glue smears! :P

Technically, the seat cushion should be plain and the button tufting should be on the backrest, but since they already had the button tufted pattern molded on the seat cushion, I said the heck with it. I'll leave it as is. How many people on Earth would even know that? :D

70_zps9tyzuca9.jpg

71_zpsqmaultbe.jpg

Hello Harry

I just join this forum but I read your posts since a few weeks

Mouting this chain seems to be a hard and painful job, but on other forums, a few modellers have fullfilled it.

For instance, il you read german, this one, post 52: http://www.wettringer-modellbauforum.de/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=55952&pageNo=2&s=0fffefc4853473d50cd1adf573e286fea2cd07d0

The guy uses a micro soldering iron and probably an high power magnifier.

I've bought the Mefistofele kit, and I'll begin it once achieved my Pocher Bugatti, in several months :rolleyes:

And I'm wooried about the chain mounting, too :unsure:

Edited by CrazyCrank
Mistake due to my bad english

I just don't have the patience to do what he did on the chains. I ordered an aftermarket chain and sprockets. The chain links just snap together, and the sprockets are very close to those in the kit. This is what I ordered...

Oh, almost forgot... welcome to our forum! :)