Model Cars Magazine Forum

40 Ford Standard Grille?

I'm building the Monogram 40 Ford Standard Coupe, and as usual, am preparing to open the grill to expose the radiator behind it.  I'm looking for a replacement appropriate grill, with vertical ribs.  I have the MCG detail kit, but that is for a Deluxe with the horizontal ribs in the PE part.   

1) Has anyone here successfully ground off the back of the chromed part while keeping the ribs intact?  I've had pretty good luck with other models.  I do recognize that this will mean cutting out the support piece and building a support structure for the replacement grille. 

2) Does anyone make a Standard grille?  I usually want to make sure I have a spare before the attempt.  

thanks!

Tim

Edited by TimNYC

D**n!  Then I just bought the wrong one at NNL East this spring...my bad.  I missed it.  I'll put the Deluxe one up for trade here.

Many thanks,

Tim

Edited by TimNYC

Now, back to my 1) question:  has anyone successfully ground off the back of the Lindberg 40 Ford kit grille to expose the ribs?  Knowing the MCG part is out there is great, but I'd like that to be the fallback, not the primary solution.

thanks!

Tim

Now, back to my 1) question:  has anyone successfully ground off the back of the Lindberg 40 Ford kit grille to expose the ribs?  Knowing the MCG part is out there is great, but I'd like that to be the fallback, not the primary solution.

thanks!

Tim

Now I'm confused. Are you doing a Monogram or a Lindberg? And wasn't the Monogram 1/24 while the AMT and Lindberg are 1/25?

Now I'm confused. Are you doing a Monogram or a Lindberg? And wasn't the Monogram 1/24 while the AMT and Lindberg are 1/25?

The Monogram-boxed '40 is the same as the Revell-boxed '40, and it's 1/25.

Image result for monogram 1940 ford     Image result for revell 40 ford

The only 1/24 '40 is the old Monogram pickup.

Image result for monogram 1940 ford

Edited by Ace-Garageguy