Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '06 Dodge Magnum R/T

Mike C

This is a model of the last car I owned. The kit comes as the SRT8 but I converted it to an R/T because that's what my car was. I had to redo the front fascia, change the wheels and the engine. At the time there was a Testors Charger kit. I got the wheels from it. The engine in that kit was horribly inaccurate and wouldn't fit. So I got the AMT Chrysler 300 R/T kit for the engine, also inaccurate but a little better and I got it to fit, plus the cover hides much of the engine. So here  are some WIP photos to start with:

Here is the STR8 and the R/T engines together:
Photos004Medium.jpg

Here are interior shots:

Photos016Medium.jpg
Photos015Medium.jpg
Photos012Medium.jpg
Photos013Medium.jpg
Photos014Medium.jpg
Photos008Medium.jpg
Photos007Medium.jpg

Here's the bottom:

Chassis800x600.jpg

Here's the finished model:

P1030479%20Large_zpsstrxmfuq.jpg
P1030480%20Large_zpszf0jpp4i.jpg
P1030481%20Large_zpseo9rs7x6.jpg
P1030482%20Large_zpsrjpufhgk.jpg
P1030483%20Large_zps6ng8vqng.jpg
P1030484%20Large_zpsnf0clvyh.jpg
P1030486%20Large_zpswlwqsnjx.jpg
P1030485%20Large_zpsjceoihqm.jpg
P1030487%20Large_zpsizmau4yl.jpg

And here is the 1:1 car when it was brand spanking new:

Magnum3Large.jpg
Magnum4Large.jpg

Edited by Mike C

Beautiful job on this Mike! I really like the added painted details on the chassis-------oftentimes I've seen those overlooked on other models built of this. Ditto likewise on the miniature model box!

Too bad the market dictated that Chrysler quit making these. I for one would much rather see more types of these cars on the road, than those CUV/SUV things forever blocking my view in front of me. :o

My girlfriend used to call that car "the hearse". But it was one of the coolest cars I've owned. It was also the most powerful, only 340 hp. Now I have the least powerful, a Lexus CT200h at about 138 hp. And a friend of mine traded a Dodge Ram SRT10 (500+ hp) for a CT200h too.

This was one of the cars that I was thinking about trying to locate before I came across my Challenger. Unfortunately, the bank I deal with would have said the car was "too old" since they stopped making them in '08. That '08 model in fact is the one to have as you hardly EVER see those on the road-----especially in SRT 8 trim.

I could be wrong about this, but I thought that the model year was cut short for those, or else Dodge sold so few of them that at the end of their production year, they decided to pull the plug. :(

BTW, was your car that metallic black? Cool color on those!

Great looking build. I also share the thoughts on the detailed chassis. As an aside on the Magnum wagon. Several years ago my wife and rented a car for a road trip rather than risk any damage to our cars. We got a rental Magnum with the 2.7 liter engine. We loved everything about the car except for the very sad engine.  A couple of years later we were in the market for a new car and when looking for a Magnum in 2010. Now out of production and no used ones that fit we ordered a Charger RT  with all wheel drive. If they where to put the Magnum back into production we would get one. The '10 has about 75k on it and the transmission is starting to shift funny.  

Very nice model! I owned a 2005 SXT (3.5 l), and loved it- until the electronics melted down at 18k miles. Chrysler bought it back, so at least they did the right thing. Evidently, these cars did not normally do that. I have 70k on a 2010 Challenger now- and I really like the Challenger, but I too wish they still made the Magnum. 

I have one of these Revell kits roughed in with cut down bumpers from a Revell "Large" kit, and a 3.5 from a Prowler ready to go. I have to get that one built.