Model Cars Magazine Forum

70 GTO Judge convertible

Sport Suburban

Since I'm sharing some of my builds this 70 GTO Judge convertible is one that has been bounced around my workbench in many forms for many years. The actual build here restarted in early 2014 when I acquired an unbuilt MPC 70 GTO in a trade and it had a damaged A pillar. At that point is when it became a 70 model. Before that it was to be a 71 Judge convertible that was starting with a glue bomb 72 GTO build that I cut the roof off and was trying the kit bashing. That build started sometime in 2008. The Judge rear spoiler is from AFX-N-Scale and dates back to that time. So does the Modelhaus 69 Chevelle conv windshield frame and convertible boot. I bought a Chevelle boot but it didn't work out and later used a Modelhaus 69 GTO convertible boot. The chassis is AMT 69 Olds 442 and the engine is from the Revell 68 Firebird. I had most of the kitbashing done on the 72 and was working on converting the interior to a 71. So when the 70 kit came along I restarted the bodywork buy cutting the roof off and reshaping the rear quarters. Lots of details were added to this build that I don't normally do like, plug wires, heater hoses, brake and fuel lines, carpet flocking, seat belts, armrests, some photo etch, key in ignition, separate door handles. Well here is the finished build and I will add some posts of the construction. All questions and comments are welcome.

Here are a few shots of the body in the ruff with the resin windshield frame.

This is the rear section after I flattened out the quarters. The black is permanent marker to help guide me in shaping the quarters. The body was thick enough and didn't need any putty.

Here is the damaged roof and why I got the kit. It was perfect for what I had in mind.

and for comparison the Modelhaus copies of the conv boots. Top is MPC 68 & 69 GTO, bottom is AMT 69 Chevelle.

Here is the boot fitted along with the spoiler. The MPC interior tub is actually correct for a convertible and the boot fits great!

70GTOJudgeconv9.jpg

and for comparison, my convertible conversion right next to another 70 GTO Judge that I built.

70GTOJudgeconv11.jpg

Edited by Sport Suburban

That's an impressive collection of kitbashing and scratchbuilding... but you have the side stripes crossing over the door panel lines!

yup, you caught me! I believe the factory stripes are also one piece decals and cut and rolled into the jams. On the model I usually put it on in one piece and let the setting solution sink it into the jamb. Some I cut and some I leave alone.