Model Cars Magazine Forum

41 rust power!

Deckerz

I decided to build this 41 willys pickup truck, I have limited supplies at the moment but that's not stopping me, I couldn't decide on a colour so I decided to rust it, not with all this fancy stuff for rust effect, this is genuine rust sanded off an old brake disc I have.

I started by sanding the body as usual then rubbed rust powder all over the body. I then clear coated the body and sprinkled the dust hear and there and built it up. I still have more to do but thought id show how it stands.

IMG_20160725_221443_zpslexofjnf.jpg

Edited by Deckerz

Thanks buddy, all the body panels will be to match except the hood which will be gloss black with rust to look like its been replaced and a door in primer again with rust on to look like it was replaced too but not painted for a long time. Possibly an old decal here and there. All underneath though will look brand new and a surprise is in store for the engine.

Thanks guys i appreciate the positve feedback so soon! 

Thanks for the Suggestion Steven, to be honest that's exactly what i was going to do in a way, i was going to get a little pot of tamiya base coat, mix a bit of it with the rust and a tiny bit of salty water to make a rusty paint/paste and hand paint the inside with a fine brush, hopefully while drying the rust will oxidize a bit more and cause rust runs, we'll see how things go though haha.

A little update, i've rusted one door and done the hood and other door in primer, there is still sanding and another coat of primer for both then il add the black to the hood and rust and rust the primed door. I still have more rust to do for the rest of the body too. I have decided for the interior that at some point in its past it has been sealed so im deciding to use black underbody sealant applied by hand, it has a brownish tinge to it already which will help but il add just a sprinkle of rust within.

Id say even though this build seems complicated because of the rusting details, to be honest its the opposite because I don't have to worry about tiny imperfections in the paint work :D

Bonnet and underside done, starting in the door now then its just finishing the body off. Im waiting for a old willys coupe to come through so I can do the bed of the truck, im going to be using the rear arches of the coupe and mould them to the truck bed as I don't really like the standard arches for the truck and I think the coupe arches will set it off a lot better especially with the big tyres tucked inside.

IMG_20160730_231842_zpsb4f9poji.jpg

IMG_20160730_231929_zpspjpxsbdz.jpg

Edited by Deckerz

This is off to a really interesting start. Declan, if you want an easier source of rust, just hallf submerge a steel-wool pad in a bit of salt water, and keep it set up in a container until the water evaporates out. You'll be left with rust as powdery as fine talc, and plenty of it. You may have to "mortar and pestle" it a liitle bit. Just give it some time. I've done this, and it works well. I agree that nothing looks so much like rust as actual rust.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the rear clip of a 41 willys coupe through the post, it needs cutting and trimming but this is a rough mock up. Il have to put a piece of styrene tube across to keep it solid while I do what I thinks going to be the hardest bit to do. I need to embed the truck bed into the fap but still leaving enough room for the wheels.

• 1 month later...