Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jo-Han 1931 Cadillac

bigzm125

Hey guys!

Got another question about a vintage kit. I just purchased a sealed jo-Han 1931 Cadillac off the eBay. While doing some research I found that these really old kits that haven't been opened can have a problem called "tire burn". This is where the compound of the tires somehow melts the softer plastic of the kit. My question is should I go ahead and open her up to see if there is any damage or let it be and hope for the best if I ever decide to build it. Below is a picture of the kit in question. BTW think I stole it for 10 bucks plus 10 more for shipping. What do y'all think? 

Thannks,

Zach 

image.png

Edited by bigzm125
Title change

Open it...that way, if there is a problem, you can look into corrective measures now rather than later.  If a tire has left a deep mark on a clear part, the part is toast.  All of the windows in this car are flat, though, so you can make replacements if need be.

You got a great deal.  The ones in the white box are later issues.  They do have to to have more flash, and maybe a little less detail in spots, but it's still one of the best car kits ever made.  the parts trees are all designed to interlock, and the tires have their own tray, so they don't come in contact with the body,  though I've never had a problem with the tires interacting with the plastic, even in their old ones.

Sometimes in these later ones you do get short shots, so it might not be a bad idea t open it up and check

Edited by Richard Bartrop

Open it...that way, if there is a problem, you can look into corrective measures now rather than later.  If a tire has left a deep mark on a clear part, the part is toast.  All of the windows in this car are flat, though, so you can make replacements if need be.

I disagree........ I had a damaged window, actually more than one. 400 grit, 600, 1000, 1500, polish. Worked for a one with glue on it too

Jo-Han never made a 1931 Mercedes.

Open the kit immediately and pack the tyres separately to avoid further damage, if it has any already.
However, I have never seen this happening with the later kits from the 1980s and I have stacks of them.

Edited by Junkman

Jo-Han never made a 1931 Mercedes.

Open the kit immediately and pack the tyres separately to avoid further damage, if it has any already.
However, I have never seen this happening with the later kits from the 1980s and I have stacks of them.

Yea, that was my bad about the title. I was really after the 1935 Jo-Han Mercedes 500k roadster and one got away as I wasn't able to bid at the end of the auction. Guess it was still on my mind when I was making this post. Thanks for all the response. I'm going to go ahead and open it when I receive it in the mail. Check it all over and hope for the best. 

I don't believe that you have any tire marks on parts in a sealed kit. Jo-Han introduced a new patended frame pack for the Gold Cup kits. I own several old kits of this series, non of these have any tire marks. But open the kit is the only way to be sure.

1931 Jo-Han Pack-100_Bildgröße ändern.JPG

1931 Jo-Han Pack-101_Bildgröße ändern.JPG

I disagree........ I had a damaged window, actually more than one. 400 grit, 600, 1000, 1500, polish. Worked for a one with glue on it too

I did say "deep mark".  Sanding/polishing out anything that goes too far under the surface will cause distortion.  I've sometimes set aside molded clear flat "glass" in favor of clear styrene even when the parts weren't damaged, because of distortion in the as-molded part.

I don't believe that you have any tire marks on parts in a sealed kit. Jo-Han introduced a new patended frame pack for the Gold Cup kits. I own several old kits of this series, non of these have any tire marks. But open the kit is the only way to be sure.

1931 Jo-Han Pack-100_Bildgröße ändern.JPG

1931 Jo-Han Pack-101_Bildgröße ändern.JPG

I have seen at least one of these kits packed this way that the tires ended up with "dents" in them from the way they are cradled in that sprue.  I suspect that kit had been stored somewhere hot for a time.  I personally think its a good idea to open them up and check everything out.  I'd say $10 was a steal, congrats!

Even if you don't intend to build it, (a) it's not very rare and isn't an investment -- and if you want to sell it, you need to vouch for the box contents, and (b) if you want to build it, don't you want to know what's in there? Personally, I'll never buy an older sealed kit.

I agree with Skip. The kits in that series are common enough that if you open it, look at the contents, and decide not to build it you will not be losing that much in the process if you go to resell it. In fact, because of known issues, it may make it a little easier to sell it if you can show someone that the contents are good. So, go ahead and open it! After all, every kit ever produced was meant to be opened and built!

Do you plan to build it?

Then open it up and take a look!

I agree with Skip. The kits in that series are common enough that if you open it, look at the contents, and decide not to build it you will not be losing that much in the process if you go to resell it. In fact, because of known issues, it may make it a little easier to sell it if you can show someone that the contents are good. So, go ahead and open it! After all, every kit ever produced was meant to be opened and built!

That's cool how they thought of the packaging like that.  

I agree with you whole heartedly that they are meant to be opened.  I respect people's hobby.   But I also hate seeing people with multiples of the same kit, usually harder to find ones, collecting dust and will never be built unlit something very unfortunate happens to the collector.  Rather see a kid make the biggest glue bomb than stored away. 

I am going to go aheand open it, check it out. Supposed to be here at the first of the month. Will let all y'all know how I fair! 

I've had four kits from the Cadillac 31 kits the only problem was a shrunken tire.but found on ebay another.some kits were sealed and others open.I will say,open it...look and but all parts in separate  bags,especially tires.....Chris 

• 3 years later...
On 8/1/2016 at 4:47 AM, Edsel-Dan said:

I also have a Parts lot of the Cabriolet--NOT all of the body is there

Picked up a Johan 1931 Cadillac Town Brougham (white box) off ebay. Did have alot of flash and some short shot parts. Got any parts left from your parts kit? I am in need of a couple.