Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for teardrop headlamps for 1930 Packard

Hi, all...I am looking for teardrop headlamps to serve as the second pair found on many 1930 Packards -- see photo. They would be about 7.8-7.9 mm in diameter. I have found a number of emergency vehicle spotlights online, but they all are too small to look right. I'd love to hear from anyone who has seen such a thing available.

1961a.jpg

Are you looking for tear drop shaped lenses or housings? Not sure exactly what you are asking. If you are after different sized housings, check out the new revell 29 ford roadster kit. 3 different sized sets of headlights in that kit. Or the many times reissued revell 32 ford series. 2 different sizes of headlights in those. 

Gang, I'm sorry for not replying sooner. Thanks for all the suggestions; The bumper-located lights are what I was looking for. In the meantime, I had a brainstorm and contacted a friend who is helping me learn to create files for 3D printing. The public library has free printing service, and the whole experience is a lot of fun!

Also, I came across this information: The bumper lamps are an accessory made by Pilot-Ray; they are mechanically linked to the steering so that they swivel and point in the direction the wheels are turned. They were marketed as a safety device, lighting the path of your turn. I wouldn't mind having something like this on my car....

That feature was also implemented on cars which were produced later. The 1948 Tucker's center headlight was linked to the steering, and so were the hi-beams of the Citroen DS and SM from the '60s.  Even a mid-2000s Citroen C4, C5, and C6 havw headlights which pan to follow the direction of the car.

Thanks for the information, fellows. I enjoy learning something new when working on a model.

3D Printing: The Adventure Continues.... Designing on the computer is a lot more accurate than cobbling together little bits of material. It turns out that my public library's printer does not have fine enough resolution to produce good scale parts. Next step -- I am checking out the printing service at the University of North Texas. They charge $2.50 per hour of their time, which I think is well worth it.

Also, I came across this information: The bumper lamps are an accessory made by Pilot-Ray; they are mechanically linked to the steering so that they swivel and point in the direction the wheels are turned. They were marketed as a safety device, lighting the path of your turn. I wouldn't mind having something like this on my car....

For years I have been trying to figure out how to make working Pilot-Ray driving lights in 1/25th scale. I'm thinking maybe watch parts will be helpful.

Edited by 1st 700 Quad
Misspelled word

That's dedication to the hobby! Going by the photos I've seen, I would imagine that watch parts would be out of scale. I have done similar systems with fine metal rod and tubing, assembled with silver solder (stronger than common tin solder) or epoxy. Are you intending to link them with steerable front wheels?