Model Cars Magazine Forum

Italeri is asking for new kit subject requests.

OK, HERE IS YOUR CHANCE!  Italeri is asking for what new subjects you would like as kits.  Send them .JPG file format photos of your choices to "photo@italeri.com", BEFORE AUGUST 27.  This is your opportunity to let them know what we want.  From what I have been told by Italeri over the years through correspondences is that they generally will consider "typically" American truck subjects.  To Europeans, "typical" means conventional, not cabovers.  But you can send them whatever.  Excuses stop here.  They are asking, give them answers!     http://italeri.com/news_scheda.asp?idNews=681

.... will consider "typically" American truck subjects.  To Europeans, "typical" means conventional, not cabovers.

I would figure the opposite, since the "typical" European truck is a cabover. :lol:

Y'all know that I'm mostly a car guy, so I figured that Italeri at least take a look at these since they DID ask for requests in any category. Why these two I have pictured have never been offered as detailed glue kits in 1/24-1/25 scale baffles me. They're both European, so maybe they have a fighting chance.

Rolls and MB 067.jpg

Rolls and MB 070.jpg

7b18_3.JPG

73a7_3.JPG

If either the Mercedes or Volvo (or both!) ever did see the light of day on the hobby shelves, it would make my decade! ;)

I thought this was the truck board? Who cares if you are "mostly a car" guy!

Well excuse me, but this is what it says on their own site........................

Dear Friends,

after our surveys dedicated to “Show Trucks” and to the “Back Again” series, now we would like to involve you directly to understand, thanks to your ideas and your advice, which could be the “100% completely new” scale model kits that you would like to see in our catalogues for the future. 

Here below how our initiative will work :

Send us by e-mail the .jpg pictures (from Web, historical pictures, taken directly from you…) of the new scale models you would like to see in our catalogues to our e-mail address photo@italeri.com before 27th August 2016. All categories are welcome : aircrafts, helicopters, trucks, tanks, figurines, ships…

We will make then a first selection, done by our experts,  of your pictures and we will post on our Facebook page for the selected images.

Then you will have 7 days, from the time when we will post the selected proposals on Facebook, to assign your vote to decide your favourite scale model proposals.

The proposals will then be analyzed by the Italeri.Research & Development team. If they are feasible, they will be introduced in our development plan for the next years.

Thank you for your kindly attention.

Ciao

Sorry if I "crashed" the ideas here. I didn't know that car models weren't welcome. :huh:

Well, I'm going to send in my idea, and here's my thought process in picking the truck. Let me know what ya think.

I want to submit an idea for a truck with the most realistic chance of being made by Italeri. If it were another company, the truck may be a different one. My best guess of what would be the most appealing to Italeri, and the general Italeri kit buying public, would follow these guidelines:

1. A modern subject. Ideally, a truck that is currently in production. Cad files would help speed the process and help Italeri be more accurate. I know, some would giggle at that, but they've done a great job with many of their kits. It looks like they are leaning towards a conventional, not a cabover, and class 8 cabovers are basically out of production in the US anyway.

2. A broad appeal, especially to the European crowd looking for American trucks. What says "The Great American Big Rig"? Yes, the Cascadia is the most popular truck on American highways, but I don't think it would be THE most popular truck kit. People buy real vehicles mostly for practicality, and they buy models for fun. Ya know, a conventional they can slap a big western cowboy mural decal on the sleeper. The plain jane no chrome daycab appeals to us, the die hard truck enthusiast, but this needs to have broader appeal. It is easier to dress down a truck than to dress it up.

3. A universal subject, what would lend itself to future kit versions like day cab, dump truck, wrecker, etc. Well, most in production aero conventionals are out of the running not having a separate sleeper, and they lack the traditional look.

4. Well, then we are left with the long hood conventional (with lots of chrome). Nothin says the typical American big rig like it.

5. Fairly easy licensing. With the Pete 378, I believe they already have an agreement with Paccar.

hmmm.

That basically leaves two flagship trucks that meet all of the above criteria. The Pete 389 and Kenworth W900L.

Out of those two, I'd pick the W900L, because they may think the Peterbilt 389 is too similar to the 378. I know, I know, they are very very different but we're talking about the company who put a 379 on the 378 box and chose to make the 378 instead of the 379 in the first place.

In my perfect world, they'd make them both, along with every other modern truck and all of the classic trucks yet to be made. But again, I'm trying to bet on the most sure thing, and put my vote on the most likely one to (make most sense to them and thus) ultimately increase the chance of a new kit actually coming to market.

Some more modern trucks would be a delight to see. Italeri makes a great Volvo VN780 which I may be driving in the next couple of weeks. But how a bout a new Peterbilt 587 or 579 or any Peterbilt with the new cab. Kenworth T660 and T680. Hopefully if they do a bunch of Paccar trucks (could do some DAFs, too!) they would tool up MX11 and MX13 engines for swapping around. And, of course, a Freightliner Cascadia. Seeing as how everyone kinda missed the boat on the Columbia when it was relevent.

Well excuse me, but this is what it says on their own site........................

Dear Friends,

after our surveys dedicated to “Show Trucks” and to the “Back Again” series, now we would like to involve you directly to understand, thanks to your ideas and your advice, which could be the “100% completely new” scale model kits that you would like to see in our catalogues for the future. 

Here below how our initiative will work :

Send us by e-mail the .jpg pictures (from Web, historical pictures, taken directly from you…) of the new scale models you would like to see in our catalogues to our e-mail address photo@italeri.com before 27th August 2016. All categories are welcome : aircrafts, helicopters, trucks, tanks, figurines, ships…

We will make then a first selection, done by our experts,  of your pictures and we will post on our Facebook page for the selected images.

Then you will have 7 days, from the time when we will post the selected proposals on Facebook, to assign your vote to decide your favourite scale model proposals.

The proposals will then be analyzed by the Italeri.Research & Development team. If they are feasible, they will be introduced in our development plan for the next years.

Thank you for your kindly attention.

Ciao

Sorry if I "crashed" the ideas here. I didn't know that car models weren't welcome. :huh:

You're OK with me, Bud.....Don't sweat it.....

I want to submit an idea for a truck with the most realistic chance of being made by Italeri. If it were another company, the truck may be a different one. My best guess of what would be the most appealing to Italeri, and the general Italeri kit buying public, would follow these guidelines:

This is logical thinking.  Requesting something with broad appeal.  Not just to American truck model enthusiasts, but to non-American truck model enthusiasts.  As it is, truck kits like Scania and Mercedes Benz out sell American subjects by far.  The US is such a small market for Italeri for trucks. 

For the most part, once a new big rig truck kit is on the market for a year, it ceases to sell in any significant numbers.   A request that will remain relevant for a while is more likely to get a model manufacture's attention.  The bottom line is a return on their investment. 

Edited by chuckyr

3. A universal subject, what would lend itself to future kit versions like day cab, dump truck, wrecker, etc. Well, most in production aero conventionals are out of the running not having a separate sleeper, and they lack the traditional look.

Some more modern trucks would be a delight to see. Italeri makes a great Volvo VN780 which I may be driving in the next couple of weeks. But how a bout a new Peterbilt 587 or 579 or any Peterbilt with the new cab. Kenworth T660 and T680. Hopefully if they do a bunch of Paccar trucks (could do some DAFs, too!) they would tool up MX11 and MX13 engines for swapping around. And, of course, a Freightliner Cascadia. Seeing as how everyone kinda missed the boat on the Columbia when it was relevent.

Honestly, and not to discredit or put down your post in any way Vincent or yours Chris because it goes along with this comment too, but a key word in your comment Vincent is UNIVERSAL. Italeri has the horrible habit of making all their US truck kits UNIVERSAL because all of their truck kits use the same frame and running gear no matter what the truck is, and they mix and match parts from other kits. A very good example of this I just posted in the under glass section recently was a build of the Western Star LA Fire wrecker, the small sleeper in the kit does not match the look of the Constellation cab at all, and looks to me to be actually an older Freightliner sleeper. The build itself was very nice, but that badly matched kit sleeper couldn't help but keep my eyes going back to how badly it looked with that Western Star cab. I'm sure if we would see a KW in any version or any that Chris mentioned, they would either butcher it to fit the "universal" frame or if we would be fortunate enough to see a new tooling, it would be like the Volvo and just a curbside. 

And also, don't believe I am knocking Italeri either, because I have many of their trucks in my collection. I just believe any new subjects would end up being anything they could put on the "If you've built one Italeri truck kit, you've built them all" frame. 

The UNIVERSAL frame, as you want to call it, wasn't used for either of the Petes or the Volvo. I believe that they saw the error in their ways and more than likely won't repeat that error. 

No, they weren't, though the Petes share a common frame also, and the Volvo really doesn't fit the discussion because though it is a nice kit, it also isn't what I would consider a "full detail" kit and with the one piece frame not a real challenge either. 

And I think they will, because even with the newest trucks prior to the Volvo, the Freightliner FLD 120, Ford Aeromax,  and the Western Star Constellation, still used the same common frame. The Freightliner FLD 120 did get newly tooled more modern single bellow airbags for the rear suspension, but that was the only change. All three were modern trucks at the time, because I had the FLD 120 riding around in my 1:1 FLD 120. 

Licensing is the most decisive factor, I think. At least they should have said what is feasible in that point of view. I´m sorry to say so but I have zero expectations as far as Italeri truck kits are concerned.

Wont hurt to give an idea.Cant change anything by not doing anything.Licensing was a factor with my picks.Figure they are good to go with a freightliner license and I picked a mack  because they have rights to volvos,volvo owns mack.Of coarse my licensing comments and thoughts are just assumptions

How about some parts packs, etc Series 60 engine, wheels and tires. 

Italeri does offer a wheel and tire set just like Moebius does. Italeri does also offer two different accessory sets, one that is a mix of parts and one that is mostly exhaust "sidepipes" for Euro trucks but also has a frame mounted Effin crane. The Detroit Series 60 as a separate parts pack would be a wonderful addition! 

Licensing is the most decisive factor, I think. At least they should have said what is feasible in that point of view. I´m sorry to say so but I have zero expectations as far as Italeri truck kits are concerned.

True, but as far as licensing goes, look what companys are doing in 1/43 and 1/64 scale. I'd like to see a freightliner m2, so many versions available for converting it, although with new tooling time and all,  i'll probably never see any of it! Not expecting anything other than reissues

revell ask the same thing some years ago [ 2 years? ]

i know that it is a lot of work to collect al the vote,s etc but you can see as a company , we are have something new in a couple of years , silence

italeri have said , a new freezer [ kitbasshing from different kits ] no new

and yes , licence to make it , but if you bring a model that,s no longer  exist you dont need a licence [ thats what i have reed in some special book ]

there are a lot of example,s on the road , al over the world , so let that famous panel look by the real trucks and figured out how it is 

not from picture,s , its nice for some details

where i work the boss said , no sitting by the phone , go to the place where it is and talk and look in the real world outside your office

thats my opinion and perhaps i see it wrong but after al these years i hope that something wil be done with al idee,s and plans

and a new kit on the shelf that we can say , whow you make a very nice kit

jacobus