Model Cars Magazine Forum

Once more a day to remember

Chariots of Fire

NFL season opens today. How many players will sit out the National Anthem?

I get its their right to protest. But I do not agree with the reasons. It is disrespectful. Today of all days, they should stand proud and be thankful they're able to play Football. 

Edited by Petetrucker07

I get its their right to protest. But I do not agree with the resaons. It is disrespectful. Today of all days, they should stand proud and be thankful they're able to play Football. 

Yes, the right to dissent is one of the things we should remember to hold dear, but I personally have to wonder just how much there is to protest about when you get millions of bucks for chasing a little ball around, while living in the most free country on Earth.

9-11-01 was the most surreal day I ever experienced in my then 22 year police career. 

I think it may have been the most surreal day in America for everyone.   I was living and working in New Jersey, living in a New York City bedroom community.  We lost friends and parents of our children's friends.  There were two Tri-State Scale Model Car Club wives in the towers, both of which fortunately escaped.  Where I worked in New Brunswick, NJ and where I lived in Hazlet, NJ  there was an intense smell, as if there was an electrical fire on your street.  That lasted at least a week. And we were 50 miles away. 

As Wayne said, as things unfolded we had no idea of what would happen next.  I was on the facility management team of a large company, a location with 2000 employees.  We immediately locked the gates. We didn't know if it would be safe to allow employees to leave on the roads or who may try to get onto the property.  Big companies have disaster plans and once we understood it was limited to New York City, we figured our NYC offices would be out of commission.  These were the days before everyone had a cell phone or laptop computer, so at the NJ facilities we outfitted every spare office seat with a phone and a computer anticipating that the NYC employees may need a place to work for an undetermined amount of time. They all received an email (we could read email on our home computers then) to report to the NJ offices. We stayed overnight and by morning the receptionist had a list of offices to assign as people showed up.  

That morning as I drove home, my normal commute took me on a highway along the NJ side of New York Harbor. On clear days we could see the World Trade Center over Staten Island.  I refused to look in that direction that morning. 

That week people just shuffled around.  My birthday was that week and my wife insisted that we go out for dinner.  The restaurant was empty and the few tables of patrons were silent.  We ate our meal and got out of there as fast as we could.  Life just didn't feel right. The worst feeling was that this was the end of life as we knew it and the start of a new era of terrorist attacks.  We are fortunate that there haven't been attacks of that magnitude since, but that week it was a possibility.  Especially since we had no idea who had attacked us.