Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Polyglas GT Parts pack tires & Tires in AMT 66 Mustang kit?

Hi all, Im wondering if the Pad Printed F60-15 & L60-15 Polyglas GT tires in the AMT Polyglas Parts Pack like this -

amt-goodyear-polyglas-gt-tires-2-sets-ea

Are they the exact same tires which are in the AMT 1966 Mustang Hardtop reissue kit - 

amtamt704.jpg

And also the L60-15 Polyglas tires in the new AMY 1968 Plymouth Road Runner reissue kits -

amt849_285.jpg

Or are the parts pack tires better quality? Im building a few Stock 68/69 Chargers & these newer Pad Printed Polyglas tires look to be the best? Just a bit confusing if they are all basically the same tire in these new reissue kits?

Edited by mopargreg

Same tires, but I don't think there are eight of them in the Mustang.  You'd have to look at the parts breakdown on the underside of the box.  The parts pack tires are printed on both sides; one side with the size designation, the other without.  The Mustang's tires will be printed with the size designation on one side, blank on the other side.

The Roadrunner tires are the larger of the two sizes, printed red stripe on one side, blank on the other side. 

I think these tires are going to look small on your midsize Mopars. They barely look big enough on ponycars or compacts.

Did real Road Runners in '68 come with bigger tires than those in that time period? 60-15s seem awfully big for any car coming from the factory back then. Most cars ran on 78s then. 70s were considered pretty wide tires at the time.

If you look at brochure or PR pictures of stock muscle cars, the tires will usually look small.  With the '68 Roadrunner for example, the 383 car would have had 14" wheels and tires with the 15" units reserved for the Hemi cars.  I don't think anything came with 60 series tires stock until 1970, and even then not everything would have had them.

I had no idea but the tires always looked small to me. So, I looked. Geez, small! F70-14 on 383 RR, F70-15 on Hemi RR. 

http://www.hemmings.com/magazine/mus/2011/11/1968--69-Plymouth-Road-Runner/3705571.html

Hemi, drums, and F70's. Surprising ANY of these things survived, alone the owners. Add sweet alignment geometry from shackles and period tires heat cycled to death, and fun times.