Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 2016 Camaro SS Coupe

Ron Hamilton

I finished this one last night just in time for our club meeting next Saturday.

DSCF5589_zpszwdlkncm.jpg

I built it out of the box, pretty much per the directions. The paint I used was Tamiya Chrome Yellow Lacquer out of the spray can, which is a little more intense than the factory color, but I liked it better. Testors has a Daytona Yellow, which is closer to the Chevrolet Yellow color.

DSCF5587_zpsjwsov9zy.jpg

I painted the wheels with dark aluminum paint which closely matches the gray finished wheels.

DSCF5584_zpsu2e2xhke.jpg

DSCF5583_zpst38f7wcx.jpg

The engine detail is pretty good, but in photographing it, I have to make an adjustment in the headlamps and vents next to the grille, as they stick out too far..

DSCF5582_zps0x28chzs.jpg

All in all, I think it is a nice kit, per my review.

Nice clean work Ron! 

Did you polish the paint? I use Tamiya lacquers, specially their clear-coat, but even my final wet coat always has fine orange peel when dry.

Any tips?

I smoothed the body with fine sanding pads after I removed the mould lines  and minor sinks that did not belong on the body, and leveled it out at the door and trunk seams with polishing sticks after I deepened the seams. When I painted the model, I used Tamiya Fine White Primer, which dried for a day, then I painted the car with several coats of Tamiya Chrome Yellow Lacquer, which dried for about 24 hours, and I clear coated it with Testors' Clear Lacquer. The finish was pretty smooth after a  24 hour drying time. I then polished the finish very carefully with Novus #2 Polish with a soft rag. I lucked out, as there were no rub through on the edges with this one. All of the paint came from spray cans. I think it came out pretty good.

Here is the underhood detail.

Looking at this photo, I am going to see if I can do a better job of recessing the headlamps and brake vent detail. The hair you see on the fender is not in the paint. The digital camera picks up everything.

While you have it in the garage, see if that left front wheel needs an alignment job. (Surprised Harry didn't pick up on that.)B)

(I mainly noticed that because it often shows up embarrassingly in my own model pictures.)

While you have it in the garage, see if that left front wheel needs an alignment job. (Surprised Harry didn't pick up on that.)B)

(I mainly noticed that because it often shows up embarrassingly in my own model pictures.)

That is also going to be taken care of when I fix the other things. At least I was able to get it to hunker down better in the front.

• 2 weeks later...

I took the 2016 Camaro to our club meeting, and it was well received. Also, I brought along some of my earlier model Camaro builds to contrast and compare the new car against some of the classic Camaros I built in the past.

1969 Camaro SS350 Coupe- Converted from a Revell '69 Z28, with the hood, intake, carb and air cleaner from Replicas and Miniatures Co. of MD, MCW  Rally Green Lacquer, MCG Photo-etch, Modelhaus COPO Dog Dishes on parts Box Steelies, and MPC Hockey Stick Decals.

Camaros%20Old%20and%20New%20019_zps14r5e

1970 Camaro SS350 Coupe- Converted from an AMT '70 1/2 Z28, with the intake, carb and air cleaner from Replicas and Miniatures Co. of MD, MCW Cranberry Red Lacquer, MCG Photo-etch, Detail Master Aluminum Wheels with American 200S Centers mounted on Fujimi Pirelli P7 Tires.

Camaros%20Old%20and%20New%20018_zpskhrbd

1967 Revell Camaro SS396 RS Coupe- Converted from a Revell '67 Camaro SS, with a scratch built RS Grille, and Deluxe interior, Testors Artesian Turquoise Lacquer, MCG Photo-etch, Parts Box Cragar SS Wheels mounted on AMT Firestone Wide Oval Tires.

Camaros%20Old%20and%20New%20014_zpsscq20

Camaros%20Old%20and%20New%20015_zpsimbto

1970 Baldwin/Motion Camaro SS Coupe- Holley 780 carb and Lynx air cleaner from Replicas and Miniatures Co. of MD, MCW Daytona Yellow and Black Lacquer, MCG Photo-etch, and Fred Cady Baldwin Motion Decals used for the edge stripes.

Camaros%20Old%20and%20New%20016_zpsxzjhb

I have a '78 Camaro Sport Coupe under Construction, being built as a replica of a car I once owned. It will be White, with a Dark Red Interior, T-Tops, 350/Automatic, Aluminum Wheels. I am using a MPC '78 Camaro kit as the basis. Sorry no pics of that one yet. I have a lot of work to do to it yet, but it is pretty well along.

As you can see. I like Camaros. I have more on the shelf to be built.

And yes, I fixed the headlamps and front wheel alignment that was mentioned before by Snake 45.

Edited by Ron Hamilton