Model Cars Magazine Forum

Florida Highway Patrol 2006 Dodge Charger

Jim B

I started this car back in October 2012, and I'm getting back at it to try to finish it up.  Here is where I stand right now:

Engine

Interior

Undercarriage

The body is at the "Paint Shop" right now (thank you Tom :)), so hopefully I'll have more updates once the body is all painted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks, Ian.  I grew up down in Miami back in the 1970s & 80s, so I'd see FHP all the time, too.  Just not these Chargers.

The decals, except for the CALEA decals, came in the Lindberg kit.  I got the CALEA decals from the Police Decal Shop.  I think he has the FHP decals as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I swear this car is cursed or something! mad.gif As you see it, it's on its FOURTH complete paint job, and now I've had a decal failure! The "State Trooper" decal on the right front fender (not shown) slid down over the wheel well & that's where it dried. Un-freaking-believable! I contacted Round2 to see if I could get new decals for this kit. I didn't have much hope as I purchased this kit when Lindberg was owned by Stevens International and not Round2. On the bright side (if there is one), Round2 said that they would send me new decals. I think they felt sorry for me.
More updated when (if) the decals arrive. Of course, they next update might just be a flaming box of crushed parts!mad.gif

• 2 months later...

So, I managed to get some more work dome on the Charger Build From Hell.  My decal issue was resolved (thanks to tbill & GLMFAA1), and this is where the build stood on 26 FEB 16:

And here is where we are now:

The front & rear bumpers are just placed on for the photos, and are not secured yet.  Despite some setbacks, the build is starting to come together.  The latest setback is the rear view mirror shot across the room, and I cannot find it.  No idea where it might be.  I minor setback, but I'm sure something will pan out (or I'll find the part).  So, onward with the build!

Thanks.  The color I used was Dupli-Color Santa Fe Tan which is sort of a cream colored tan.  The car was originally painted Dupli-Color Sweet Cream over black, which is actually closer to the FHP scheme.  Tbill did the painting & polishing on this one for me (twice, I think).

From Wikipedia:

"The paint scheme of black and tan (cream) has no correlation with the road color or the grass color. The traditional paint scheme is unique to the FHP and has been the color of the cars as long as the FHP has utilized patrol vehicles. The paint adds $657 to the purchase of each vehicle. Prior to sale, the patrol defaces the cars so that they cannot be misconstrued as official law enforcement vehicles. The defaced, two-tone paint deflates each car's resale value by approximately $400.

It is a misdemeanor crime in Florida to operate a car in the colors of the FHP."

• 3 weeks later...

I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel! (and it's not the headlamp of an oncoming train this time)

It's getting there.  Not perfect, but I'm pleased after all of the trouble this build has been.