Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

:rolleyes: Team Super Aguri Honda is bankrupt. They have withdrawn from the 2008 Championship and are ceasing all racing activities effective immediately May, 6th 2008. Edited by CAL

Yeah, they are kind of suffering from compound problems.

They had a sponsor that broke contract with them last year. With the new constructor rules they haven't been able find another sponsor.

Red Bull, STR Ferrari, and Force India could face similar problems when customer cars do not qualify as a "Constructor"

They say it takes $100 million just to develop a car much less compain it.

Although the new comming rules might make it more affordable for new constructors.

Toyota was talking about pulling the plug as well.

Edited by CAL

Toyota was talking about pulling the plug as well.

wha???? ;):lol:

hahaha....sorry I thought that was funny. That is way too much money. It was coming though for them but they are fine in IRL. ;) Jeez, it's just like rally, everybody is withdrawing or everybody cheats, good lord, why??? :blink:

Edited by Nick F40

well in Toyota's case it's the results or lack of them.

They, Toyota, said if they didn't start showing improvement they would have to reconsider their future in F1.

They get beat by everyone including the nonfactory Williams-Toyota team. They are doing better, but even Red Bull Renault is on there heals. To date they never won a Grand Prix and retire nearly 50% of the time. It is just not a good sign of a factory team with virtually unlimited resources (probably as much or more than Ferrari, BMW, and Mercedes combined)

Toyota should be a lot further along than they are. For some reason they just have a lot of internal personal problems, and nobody at the helm to steer their ship to a championship condender. There just seems to be something wrong with the team and or people within, and the factory in noticing it. If they haven't eveyone else has been telling them or asking what is going on over there.

I think their big mistake, which cost them an $11 million dollar 2001 deposit, was to go it alone in development rather than partnering up with someone with experience to get their feet wet. Even at that they should be further along. And I am not sure I am buying there, "our wind tunnel was broke down most of last year" excuse.

In any event, Toyota Motorsports GMBH was told to step it up or else.

They failed to score a win at LeMans as well, leaving Mazda with the only Japanese manufacture with an overall win.

Rather ironic when you consider that a lot of the changes that have been occurring in F1 over the last few years were all brought in to supposedly reduce the costs making it possible for smaller teams to get in and be competitive. The more things change the more they stay the same I guess.

RobW

What's this "constructor" nonsense?

First and foremost it is a manufacture's championship "Constructors Championship", drivers come second.

and the new rules to come is if you want to compete you need to build your own car. No more buying a car from another manufacturer and racing it i.e. no customer cars.

STR Ferrari

Super Aguri Honda

Red Bull Renault

Correction

Force India is a constructor, they are the old Spiker car builder, which is the old Midland builder which had part interest in Jaguar and purchased Jordan.

It is why Pro Driver Ferrari abondoned their F1 program.

You will be able to lease or purchase engines, but you have to run your own chassis.

I try to enjoy F1, I really do. But all this blah blah blah, all the billions of $$ spent, and in the long run the races are boring as hell. I guess it's not about racing, it's about the money. Always is. And it always spoils the part I enjoy best. Watch the SCCA runoffs sometime, better racing than a whole season of F1 :angry:

I try to enjoy F1, I really do. But all this blah blah blah, all the billions of $$ spent, and in the long run the races are boring as hell. I guess it's not about racing, it's about the money. Always is. And it always spoils the part I enjoy best. Watch the SCCA runoffs sometime, better racing than a whole season of F1 :angry:

Here here!!

I just hope Speed shows the Runoffs again this year...

I agree that there are some good series out there. The Rolex Grand Am, AMLS, DPs GTs has been some of the best racing in years. Nevertheless, there has been some good F1 racing, and it is the best of the best:"cutting edge technology, the best engineers, most sophisticated cars, and not everyone is cut out for #1 in the world.

It's mind boggling, it takes six weeks to build a single cylinder head. They have 3 full time fabricators to just build exhaust headers, and a single team employs hundreds of highly trained, specialty people, who are also the best at what they do. Because if your heart and sole is not in it is not worth the sacrifice, especially to the 80-100 people the take around the world with the cars.

I just do think that many people really appreciate what goes into a Grand Prix, or a GP team or even what it is all about. There is a lot more to it than the hour or two you see on TV.

Furthermore, I don't know how it could have been any more interesting or exciting than the World Championship come down to 3 drivers fighting it out at the last race of the season. Not to mention the underdog prevailing.

I sure like to get some V8 Supercar action though.

Edited by CAL

Last year F1 wasn't nearly so boring (far better than the year previous) with all the various surprises and the race for the championship that was close all the way to the end. This year it's been a yawner. The fact that so much of the "sport" is the pinnacle of engineering and talent and is lost by races that just aren't thrilling to watch, more like parades...sad to see so little true racing and lead changes (not just because of pit stops) and thrilling action on the track. I'd rather see them racing vintage F1 cars w/ skinny tires and no wings.

Now that would be cool.

well its coming, at least the reduction in downforce, and by some standards a dramatic reduction. They are going back to slicks, 50% reduction in downforce, and banning winglets.

Last year F1 wasn't nearly so boring (far better than the year previous) with all the various surprises and the race for the championship that was close all the way to the end. This year it's been a yawner. The fact that so much of the "sport" is the pinnacle of engineering and talent and is lost by races that just aren't thrilling to watch, more like parades...sad to see so little true racing and lead changes (not just because of pit stops) and thrilling action on the track. I'd rather see them racing vintage F1 cars w/ skinny tires and no wings.

Well the claim part of the reason there isn't so many lead changes is the cars are so evenly matched. Less than a second seperated the top ten drivers in Q3. (0:00.886)

Edited by CAL

Watch the SCCA runoffs sometime, better racing than a whole season of F1 B)

Hell yeah, gotta represent the Sprites! ;)

I just hope Speed shows the Runoffs again this year...

I KNOW!!!! :)

V8 Supercars, ahh yes, what NASCAR should be like! ;)

:) Guy's I've never really been into open wheeled racing cars but have always appericiated road course racers.Indy has never done anything either,or Nascar,till I saw them running on a roadcourse(the Nascars).What are the little Aussie road racers called?Ireally liked them till they disappeared.don't mean to sound stupid,but you learn more everyday. B)

what...V8 Supercars? Little?? :) Those are great, they beat and bang for the whole race with no penalties and spin others out B) , LITERALLY, the NASCAR guys have nothing on these guys. They are V8 powered and the cars ACTUALLY look like real cars.

Beautiful machines George, just beautiful. ;)

Todd Kelly, Craig Lowndes, and Mark Skaife are great drivers and to name a few great drivers in the series.

Edited by Nick F40

WERE REALLY RACEIN!

WERE???? :) They still are next to rally!

They are usually on in the wee hours of thee mornin! B) Like 2-4 AM sometimes with the DTM. ;) That's why you usually don't see them, that's the time differences, but those hours are some of the best racing that's left on Speedvision.

I know I know, but I don't care, I'm still calling it Speedvision and referring to the original channel. ;)

:rolleyes: Yeah Nick,I agree 100%.Those guy's are runnin the HELL out those cars.Theyre pushin each other in the corners and draftin like a mug on the straights,Makes for some great racin!Maybe I'll jus stay up sometime to catch em! :blink:

oh, yes, if you can stay up or wake up around then check it out , there might be infomercials though! :(

Let's see those NASCAR guys say that. ;)

oh, yes, if you can stay up or wake up around then check it out , there might be infomercials though! :lol:

Let's see those NASCAR guys say that. ;)

Yeah, I usually catch the tail of one just before the Grand Prix; however, last time we were graced with a GP2 race before the F1 race.