Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bootlegger '40 Ford

The general consensus among people who claim to have either seen the car up close or studied high-quality photos of it or "talked to the guy who worked on it for the movie" is that it was fitted with a Ford Y-block engine.  :D

Bill, thanks so glad you know this it's been a while since I watched the movie...

Bill, thanks so glad you know this it's been a while since I watched the movie...

I can't swear to it, but i researched it quite some time back, and though a lot of folks said it was an Olds engine, the more believable ones said it was a Y-block.

Great movie too. Now you've got me wanting to find in on a nice clear DVD.   :D

Saw a TV show years ago interviewing Jr Johnson at his farm. He had a 1940 Ford coupe, black and his words were to go to a Caddy engine and if you needed more power go to a superchager. His had a Caddy and looked like it ran real well around the farm.

I Believe he donated it to the Nascar Hall of Fame when it opened...

I watched a NASCAR (I think) documentary recently. In one segment of the show, several good ol boys detailed exactly what they did to their '40 Fords to make them better liquor runners. This included engine swaps and suspension modifications. I don't remember the specifics though.

I saw the car being donated and put in the hall of fame on the speed channel. Junior said that was how he learned some driving skill by running shine...

Right, I think a lot of the older NASCAR drivers learned to drive that way... Elliot, Baker, Johnson and the likes!!!!!If I remember right anyway!!!! LOL