Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 Firebird - Wheels make a difference

Kmb0319

This isn't actually a new build, I built this a year and a half ago.  To me, it's proof that small adjustments can make a huge difference.  

My teenage son wanted to try building a model in the Spring of 2015.  He chose the Revell 68 Firebird, but the only version available was the Foose version.  I'm not really a pro-touring kind of builder... if I'm building a muscle car, I want it to be stock.  If I have custom wheels, they will be period-correct...   something an owner would have put on when they brought their new baby home.  (I realize this is just my opinion... others may wholeheartedly disagree, and that's OK)  Anyway, he painted a grand total of 3 parts before he quit, so I took over and built it.

Further, among the Revell Foose kits, the wheels included in this version were my least favorite.  The wide 5-spokes are not something I would ever choose.  (The tires were a nice width, they just weren't "right" to me)  I tried to throw some gold trim on them to see if that would help... it didn't, possibly because my effort was poor.  SO... last week, I was cleaning my office up, and part of that included fixing several of the models that got broken in our relocation this summer and getting them onto a shelf.  I washed this Firebird, put a little wax on it, reattached a few broken parts, and finally set out to replace the wheels/tires.  I dug into my parts box.. thought I could possibly use the Pontiac Rallys from the MPC 72 GTO... WRONG... those are horrible, like the rest of the kit.  What I ended up with was a set of the Cragars that were the custom wheels in the AMT 70 Camaro kit (molded in white) and a set of the AMT Firestone Wide Ovals.  I had to find wheel backs that pushed them out a little considering the wheels that were on originally, but not too much.  Here's the before:

JamisonsFirebird4-vi.thumb.jpg.2013107b1

I painted the wheels to look like Torque Thrusts.  After the change:

68_Firebird_1.thumb.jpg.0cb3e0cb60d2279c

68_Firebird_3.thumb.jpg.7844ac72846184fd

Now, THIS is my vision of a 68 Firebird.  Personally, I'm digging it... whatcha think?

Looks better. Never cared for those wheels.

BTW, Cragar did do wheels like that, they called them G/Ts.

Image result for cragar gt

I'm with you. Not a fan of the black Cragar wheels, but I've done 'em where the chrome was wonky or bad on a kit's wheels.

BTW, they look pretty good on that Firebird. B)