Model Cars Magazine Forum

Let's think about the Cannonball run 2017 theme.

Tim H

With the Aussieball coming to an end shortly. It is time to start thinking about 2017. ( yeah, it is almost here)  So let's start throwing ideas around for the theme for 2017 Cannonball. Do we want to go back to the original Cannonball Run, anything goes, no holds bared. Do we want to have a year limitation or a certain country ( Like the Aussieball) or ????? Let's here it.

Tim

I heard it bandied about but I wasn't aware of a decision. I like a theme myself but understand the desire for folks not wanting limits. Personally I think limits are good. The Sleeperball I guess was unlimited with limits. How about period unlimited? Say 1930's (or 40's or 50's) cars unlimited but using period available hardware. That would be a challenge without limiting imagination.

Jantrix (next year's handler and original founder) has already decided it would be a Unlimited Theme to match the first Cannonball cbp he started 10 years ago.

Mostly true. The real reason I've chosen the theme (or lack there-of) is because with only one exception (sleepers, from 2015) the themed Cannonballs had the lowest completion levels. I agree with Dennis and I really enjoy themes and will do themes again, but it limits our participants because a builder who'd normally join us, isn't into the theme. As we've seen from the Aussieball, there is a LOT of fabrication involved this year and many folks just don't have the time or inclination to do so. So for the 10th running, I'd like to get a huge field of completed models and happy finishers. I'm also planning another funny story to complete the race, like I did a few years ago. Here's the announcement I put in the current Cannonball thread. I am sorry if those of you who enjoy the themes are disappointed.

Next year will be the 10th running of the Model Car Cannonball Run. When I started this back on SA forums back in 2007, I never dreamed we'd still be at it. I'm very proud of this CBP, the community we've built and all the fine builders we've seen. So unless someone has a major malfunction with it, I'm going to announce that I will be running next years CBP and that there will be NO THEME. This what we have called "unlimited" in the past and it's always very popular. Build whatever you would want to drive cross country with. When I start it I'm going to open the thread with a honorarium post with all our previous winners. 

http://s53.photobucket.com/user/Jantrix/library/Cannonball Winners?sort=3&page=1

Our previous runs and the themes.

2008 (SA) - Unlimited

2009 (SA) - Unlimited

2010 (SA) - Route 66

2011 (SA) - 30th Anniversary - 1981

2012 (MCM) - American Graffiti - 1962

2013 (MCM) - Unlimited

2014 (MCM) - 1979 (honoring Brock Yates final run)

2015 (MCM) - Sleepers (our most popular run to date)

2016 (MCM) - Australia (on and off road)

As far as the future of the CBP, I intend for it to continue as long as there are interested builders. Or at least until I win one. :lol: 

Edited by Jantrix

On a side note. Please feel free to toss up any theme ideas you have, and I will make a list for next year.

Themes I was kicking around were:

1. Junkyard - build a racer from something in the wrecking yard.

2. Pro-touring

I like these two sugestions VERY much!

Another theme that I like is building a "Sleeper", but I know that's been done recently.

When we discussed the 2016 Cannonball Run, we decided on an partial off-road Cannonball. Both street and trail. Our original thought was a Canadian race, but some of our Australian members suggested doing an Australian Cannonball theme. If you check out the Aussieball thread in the Community section, it'll explain everything.

Edited by Jantrix

Regarding the Aussieball, I think perhaps folks got confused with the off-road part. Some guys are into off-road so they built what they are familiar with. That's cool, but most of us aren't going to do that. If you look at my Land Cruiser you will see that I did a lot of little fabrication but not the full scale fab work a lot of others did. One could have just as easily used a stock four wheeler as I did and added their own touches.

Frankly I'm good with whatever gets folks interested, because that's what it's all about. Right?

Frankly I'm good with whatever gets folks interested, because that's what it's all about. Right?

Correct sir! Also this time I have my own model car Facebook page with about 250 members that I've told about next years running, so I'm hoping to pull a few more folks to this forum and hopefully the Cannonball. 

On a side note. Please feel free to toss up any theme ideas you have, and I will make a list for next year.

Themes I was kicking around were:

1. Junkyard - build a racer from something in the wrecking yard.

2. Pro-touring 

now,  the junkyard theme I could get into as well.  it would give give me a chance to participate AND practice some weathering. 

Regarding the Aussieball, I think perhaps folks got confused with the off-road part. Some guys are into off-road so they built what they are familiar with. That's cool, but most of us aren't going to do that. If you look at my Land Cruiser you will see that I did a lot of little fabrication but not the full scale fab work a lot of others did. One could have just as easily used a stock four wheeler as I did and added their own touches.

True, I think all of us knew that going into this year the turnout wouldn't be as high as last year. But regardless I'm still glad we went with it.  I've had a lot of fun scrambling these past two weeks trying to get mine done.

I'm looking forward to next year's as well whatever the theme is I'll be in it for sure. Even if it's restricted to Clowns on Mopeds haha :D:lol::D:lol:

Edited by TFchronos
typos

• 2 weeks later...

One theme that might be fun for a future contest would be an Alaskan Highway Cannonball. South to north, Dawson Creek, BC, to Delta Junction, AK. 1400 miles.

If this or another nonstandard idea is used, I think clarity needs to be part of the instructions. I think the off-road part of this years Cannonball scared some folks off, especially seeing the early starters putting out some models that looked strictly off-road as opposed to multi-purpose.

Think of the cars from the Cannonball Run movie. Everything from a Rolls to a Lambo. The course isn't as important as the car (and the strategy)!

With my Land Cruiser I focused on (real-life) durability, fuel economy and availability, and survivability. As far as a kit went, I didn't want to do a lot of fab work, thus an SUV.

I just hope 2017 has more entrants than 2016, and everyone is realistic about their time. In the meantime, I'm loving the ride!!

I never realized that my sleeperball was so popular. I did enjoy running it. I have a show projects going right now but it is still early. The official start isn't for a couple weeks now.

Tim

Yep. As far as finished builds it ranks up there with our best years. I sure enjoyed it.

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to favour the themed builds, in fact the AussieBall was the the Cannonball I've competed in. The main reason was the challenge to build out of my normal interest. Having said that and after having read how 2017 will be the tenth anniversary run with Rob being the original coordinator, I'm in! The 10th anniversary will be the "theme". 

The AussieBall had a low entry at the start line this year and I certainly agree with Dennis "MeatMan" that the level of fabrication was above norm, perhaps discouraging participation. It was a great challenge for me and considering that there was one entry near the deadline, the extension was well used by the remaining entries. Looking over the list of previous runs, there is a good variety of options over the years for all builders.

It would be interesting to resurrect the original thread of the starting line up from ten years ago... An idea would be to update a previous entry... another thought that has been raised before I think is to have a special decal sheet run off with a unique logo for the anniversary... Other thoughts? 

Cheers Misha

It would be interesting to resurrect the original thread of the starting line up from ten years ago... An idea would be to update a previous entry... another thought that has been raised before I think is to have a special decal sheet run off with a unique logo for the anniversary... Other thoughts? 

Here is the original thread Feb, 2008. http://cs.scaleautomag.com/sca/community_build_projects_cbp_/f/38/t/65264.aspx

As for the decal sheet that's not a bad idea. This is the original logo from the very first Cannonball Run. If you wanted to add that to your car somehow that would be cool, maybe with the number 10 in the red field.

But, as well as being the 10th anniversary, this is sadly the Brock Yates Memorial Model Car Cannonball Run. We lost Brock back in October from complications of Alzheimer's disease. Most of us missed it due to the craziness of this last election. So perhaps work Brock's name into the build somehow. A license plate or bumper sticker that says "BROCK LIVES" or something clever like that. Without Brock and his rebellious automotive mayhem, the world would be a much duller place. I'll create the 2017 thread after the poll wraps up and I'll add the winner to the Hall of Highway Scofflaws and Degenerates.

Image result for cannonball run logo