Model Cars Magazine Forum

What the story ??

Maybe I'm missing something here because I don't often go to the website. I just get my magazine and run. I have and have always had a subscription. But i was wondering what's going on. This whole year I have only received two maybe three issues the whole year. Can someone PLEASE fill me in as to what is going on ? I need my Maypo !!!!

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like the new owners of the magazine severely underestimated the amount of working capital they required to publish.  They are supposed to print nine times a year and only two went out in 2016.  If one wants to look real hard for a bright spot, a one year subscription will last 4 1/2 years.

It looks like the new owners of the magazine severely underestimated the amount of working capital they required to publish.  They are supposed to print nine times a year and only two went out in 2016.  If one wants to look real hard for a bright spot, a one year subscription will last 4 1/2 years.

It isn't new owners, Gregg has owned this magazine since it's inception, it is the fact the long time printers went out of business and Gregg had to take on a lot more responsibility that he previously didn't have. 

A message to Gregg should get you the explanation you want.

That's all well and good and I will stand corrected on the ownership comment.  However, how does a printer going out of business create a cash flow problem in that a magazine that published nine times a year can only be printed twice?  Taking on additional responsibilities is one thing, but not having the funds to operate and publish properly is something completely different.

I have read the blurb on the front page of the website and am wondering the same thing.  How can anyone in the magazine business expect more people to subscribe if the ones who now subscribe are not satisfied with the product?  I do understand there are issues involved which are beyond Gregg's control, however i would really like to get another issue of the magazine.

Instead of griping about why the magazine is not published on time on the forum provided by the publisher, I suggest that you email Gregg directly and get an answer from him as he is the one in charge.

I think Gregg explained the difficulties he is having with getting the magazine printed and shipped but maybe an email to him will help you better understand.

Here's what happened: Golden Bell Press is the company that printed and distributed/mailed the magazine. Gregg's part in this was that for a certain monthly payment from GBP, Gregg was to supply the printer with finished files, ready to print, every month. I'm not sure what the exact arrangement was between Golden Bell and Gregg, not sure who even owned the magazine.

Then Larry Bell, the owner of GBP, suddenly decided to retire and shut the whole operation down. The magazine was now strictly in Gregg's hands. The contributors still sent me their material, and I still laid out and produced all the pages and the cover, exactly as had been done before. But now, when I sent Gregg all the final files for a particular month, it was up to HIM to get the magazine printed and distributed, instead of Golden Bell Press paying Gregg a monthly fee to supply them with the files (which they then printed and distributed), 

With Golden Bell Press out of the picture, Gregg himself had to pay for the printing and distribution, and it has been a problem, financially, for Gregg to continue producing the magazine out of his own pocket.

That's basically how it happened, and as of now, I don't know when (or if) any more issues will be produced. Only Gregg knows where things stand.

Wow...that sucks...guess MCM is just like most hobby shops...poof...gone. I've been buying the mag since Roy had it...Plastic Fanatic...that's a bummer coz Model Cars Magazine has been one of 3 that I always had a subscription to...MCM...SA...and Amazing Figure Modeler...the 3 best EVER!!

Unfortunately there are several problems here. One as noted there are fewer hobby shops. Second printed magazines are going away partially becuase of the costvof printing and posted. Also there are fewer places carrying magazines. And those that are are not allocating as much space. 

As far as MCM goes with the new subscription rate 250 new subscribers woukd have to sign up just to get one issue printed and mailed. 

Definitely not an easy problem to solve.