Model Cars Magazine Forum

I must reach out and praise a resin-caster today. 

I've been looking at R & R Resin's website for a couple of weeks now, and finally sent an email to them asking about the availability and prices of some of their kits. Steve Kohler responded quickly enough with the info I asked for, and I was quite pleased.

This last Sunday, I ordered a 1965 Plymouth B-Body 4 door wagon kit from them. Steve emailed me right back, saying that he would ship the model on Monday. Today, Wednesday, I received the kit in the mail, safe and sound. It looks great! 

I am astounded at the rapidity of Steve's response, thrilled with the delivery, and excited to have the kit.

I cannot say enough good things about R & R Resin and Steve Kohler. If you ever get the opportunity to do business with them, I do not think you will be disappointed!

2016-12-14 13.08.42.jpg

I do want to warn that, regarding their website, and Steve's reply to my questions, that it looks like the website, and the related sites for Resin Realm and Star Models, actually show images of a lot more models than they actually have on hand. Make sure to send them an email asking about the availability of any models that you may be interested in. But, that said, if they have it on hand, you couldn't ask for better service!

I have bought bodies from Steve when he comes to the Hartland Show at Overland Park Ks. in June every year. His display usually takes up an entire end of the swap meet area He's a great guy and is always helpful in getting you what you need.

• 3 months later...

If you remember Ray, every year he would tell you that this was the last year he was going to do resin.  Then he'd be there the next year and tell you the same thing.  Finally Ray walked into NNL East one year as a spectator and gave us an armload of resin kits as give aways.  He told me that he was selling his kits through vendors, and that was the part of the business he disliked... selling, travelling to shows etc.  He said he liked the production part, and would continue in business that way.    

I don't think R&R kits are rare, he sold a ton of them and probably 80% or better of those haven't been built and are sitting in people's collections. As collections get sold off, we'll see them for sale.

I've also noticed there is a fair amount of resin piracy going on.. new players offering kits I remember as AAM or R&R, which further reduces the rarity of original castings.

The fact that he even had my holy grail, a '66 Bonneville Wagon was astonishing. I paid top dollar at a show for a longitudinally warped body ( I assume from sitting snuggly wrapped in those little boxes for a few years), but then picked up three pristine, clean, desirable bodies for about $8 each. Go figure.