Model Cars Magazine Forum

Truck-A-Thon Jr. 2017

Jordan White

I suppose I can finally post something here! As you can see in the first post, I'll be building a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500. It will have the 8.0L V10, 5-speed manual, 4x4, and will be the extended cab-long bed configuration with the Sport trim package.

The kits I'm using are the Revell Ram VTS, AMT Ram 2500, and yes, the Meng F350!

The F350 will be providing the chassis and drivetrain (minus the engine/trans), the AMT kit will provide the cab extension, long box, tailights, and rear bumper, and the Revell kit will provide most of the rest of the parts.

Here's the combined cab and the long bed, I still have to do some final work on the cab.

Finally, here's the chassis in its current state. I had to remove 3/4" from the frame, as well as rearrange a few pieces to get it in a similar configuration to the Dodge chassis.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

O.k. I thought I was going to do the bus but it just isn't going to happen. I started this instead, it's a 1938 GMC cabover cab & I'm using a 41 Chevy for parts along with a few other things from here & there. This is all I've got so far, I'm not happy with that grill so I think I'm going to make my own. The rear will have a scratch built wrecker body & boom.

001.JPG

cab & stuff 001.JPG

cab & stuff 016.JPG

t 005.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve decided to build a ’50 Chevy 3100 for my next build, using this glue bomb I scored off of eBay.  I knew it was missing parts when I bought it, but what I didn’t know was that the kit was missing the drive train, chassis, and interior.

So…..I’m going to use this ’53 Corvette kit (Flea market find for $5!) as the donor for the missing necessities.

photo IMG_1948_zpskhdychhu.jpg

The Corvette frame is going to need some tweaking…..

photo IMG_1949_zpsfuhgmoko.jpg

After cleaning up of the body, a quick mock up….

photo IMG_2040_zpsdgkbmksl.jpg photo IMG_2041_zpscjr7jtjt.jpg

…really digging the look of the ’57 Bell Air wheels!  I may swap over to the Corvette wheels before things are finished, but I’m confident that the White Walls are staying. 

More to come!

looking good guys. i actually have started my ford p/u, but so far have only filled the body seam in the front lower fenders/valance.  keep getting side tracked.............., will post some sort of progress here soon.

Got a little more work done on the Chevy.  Started building the missing interior tub using the Corvette parts... 

photo IMG_2048_zps90osyt4m.jpg

Mocked up the Corvette drive train.  Had to notch the oil pan and move it forward between the rails to fit properly under the hood/clear the cab firewall.  All that aside, I think the minor modification will be worth it after paint and final assembly.

photo IMG_2186_zpsq0qk8egn.jpg photo IMG_2185_zpsw3zcegq1.jpg photo IMG_2184_zpsn7egzb3k.jpg

More to come! 

Thanks for the love Bruce!

I was pleasantly surprised with the Bel Air wheels too- they give it a retro/'60's custom vibe...

Here's some more pics I forgot to upload earlier.

In this one - you can see where I extended the Corvette frame by approximately 14 scaled inches using some old plastic gift cards.  Some minor clean up required.

photo IMG_2140_zpscjqdyuax.jpg

Here, I started modifying the back half of the Corvette floor pan to make a custom truck bed...

photo IMG_2045_zpsyo8x5yz5.jpg photo IMG_2138_zps0bplanqv.jpg

More to come...

Completed the bed floor - used more gift cards for the job and added some left over components like the fuel cell and battery box from my '29 Ford.  Ready for paint!

photo IMG_2210_zpstc3j9zso.jpg photo IMG_2211_zpsgwzea4bl.jpg

The view from the rear...

photo IMG_2218_zpszikmal2z.jpg

Extended the drive shaft by cutting off the U-joints and using some scrap for the extra length

photo IMG_2212_zpsxt6chtvl.jpg

Make shift motor mounts made...

photo IMG_2213_zpszwc6wpt9.jpg photo IMG_2214_zpsnirlw0z5.jpg

In this mock up, you can really see how far the body has been dropped on the Corvette chassis...

photo IMG_2215_zpsywlhhiu7.jpg

Motor nice and centered in the engine bay...

photo IMG_2216_zpsekdl4ssz.jpg photo IMG_2217_zpsathnlxw5.jpg

...and this shot just because I like it the stance....

photo IMG_2219_zps5ps0vkeb.jpg

I got a little more work done on this thing. I built the body & I never had such a hard time! I've done lots of them before but it just wouldn't work for me. I had to walk away a few times before it ended up in a million pieces. The tow boom (which should have been the hard part) was built in a day, no problems yet, I just have to find some gears for the hand crank winch. I want it to look like a "Manley Wrecking Crane".

cab & stuff 006.JPG

cab & stuff 002.JPG

cab & stuff 011.JPG

cab & stuff 013.JPG

Man, that is an awesome looking wrecker Mark. Nice work mate. Going with a "new" paint job or a rat rod patina? Cant wait to see.

Thanks David, new paint, what's that?;) Definitely going rat rod patina, I haven't been able to pull off a "new" paint job in years.

Not much in the way of up updates – still problem solving and piecing together the interior.

I like the Corvette bucket seats, but they are just too low for a truck application.

A comparison of my scratch building to the kit stock tub from my stash…

photo IMG_2472_zps0iyxajm2.jpg

The seats need some sort of riser… bring on the gift cards!

photo IMG_2473_zpsify4a7uj.jpg

Crude, but it works.  Lots more tweaking left to do... 

The running boards are attached to the cab here.  Also playing around with different wheel/tire combo.  The AMT ’53 Corvette wheels fit better on the chassis than the Revell ’57 Bel Air wheels, but they don’t look nearly as cool…

photo IMG_2470_zpse4369mpa.jpg photo IMG_2469_zpsng3piq5w.jpg photo IMG_2471_zpsqueqoq4b.jpg

Wouldn't be difficult at all to turn these tires into white walls.  A minor issue compared to everything else.  I’ll get it sorted – may need to throw some paint on the body this weekend to see what works better!

-Steve

I like that technique, it looks great!

I don't have any pictures at the moment, but last night I did some more work on my build with getting the interior tub pieced together. Essentially, I used the majority of the Revell interior for the front seat area, and the seat-area back from the AMT interior for the rear portion. For the seats though, I'm using the AMT seat for the front seat since it's more detailed and slightly larger, while the Revell seat will be used for the back seat since the cushion is shorter.

Thanks Jordan!

…and now for a quick mock-up. 

Interesting how the colors change in different lighting conditions!  

Not the results that I was hoping for, but close the look I was trying to create.  Still some more work to do, but almost there.

photo IMG_2676_zpspoyhp0pp.jpg photo IMG_2674_zpssvrfdybm.jpg photo IMG_2672_zpsdumjrow8.jpg photo IMG_2671_zpszohcpcyj.jpg photo IMG_2670_zps6fe8l3h5.jpg photo IMG_2673_zpsccvag8ge.jpg

So far, the Corvette wheels are looking the part for this truck.

-Steve