Model Cars Magazine Forum

Line O Tape

Has anyone tried to use Line O Tape's 1/64" pinstriping tape for masking?  I'm going to need some very thin tape for masking. I know some tapes just don't like having solvents applied to them, usually the problem is adhesive left after removing, but some just won't come off at all. If not the L.O.T., maybe you've found another tape that would work and could suggest. It has to be able to make a tight radius without lifting once the paint hits it.

I've tried cutting my own crepe masking tape, but it's a PITA to make and I'd rather have a whole roll of something on hand.

Edited by Psychographic

Can't say that I have ever tried to use this stuff as masking tape, but I do know from experience that this stuff sucks if you need to use it on a surface with the slightest curve at all.  The adhesive backing on this stuff seems to be too weak to hold the tape down unless the surface is perfectly flat.

Because of this, I would be reluctant to use it as masking tape.  But, you can always try it out on some scrap first and let us know the results.

SC

Why not cut your own?

Take a strip of quality tape (Tamiya, for example) and lay it on a clean, smooth surface (piece of glass, window, etc). Using a steel straight edge and Xacto knife, cut off a narrow strip and use it, making sure the cut edge is the masking edge.

The strip you cut will have the cleanest edge you'll see, with no dust, dents, etc.

I've tried cutting my own crepe masking tape, but it's a PITA to make and I'd rather have a whole roll of something on hand.

Why not cut your own?

Take a strip of quality tape (Tamiya, for example) and lay it on a clean, smooth surface (piece of glass, window, etc). Using a steel straight edge and Xacto knife, cut off a narrow strip and use it, making sure the cut edge is the masking edge.

The strip you cut will have the cleanest edge you'll see, with no dust, dents, etc.

I already explained why.

Cut your own... It's easy. I use 3M Fine Line masking tape. 1/4" or 1/2" is easy to work with. Layout 12" or so on a sheet of glass and cut it with a sharp hobby knife and a steel straightedge. Cut three or four lines and you'll have plenty to use on a model. What you don't use, just leave it on the glass till next time.

The issue with the pin striping tape is compatibility with hot solvents and formability. You know the Fine Line will work with hot solvents and it will also go around corners. It will also stay where you put it. It's all I ever use just because I know it will work with no second guessing...

Mark

Guys... I did read the other replies, thank you. This is not rocket science. Cut your own strips, out of a known material, and be done with it. How hard can it be? The 3M tape is designed for this and it cuts very easily... Putting it on a piece of glass makes it simple.

Mark

P.S. Get 3M "Fine Line" tape. Your local auto paint supply will carry it. It is not crepe and will cut cleanly with a sharp hobby knife. Try it...

Edited by astroracer

I've made it perfectly clear I don't want to cut my own. I said it in my first post, then again in a reply. So for anyone to reply with the cut your own, is not helping the matter. I'm not trying to be mean, just posting what I had hoped would be obvious.

I also know about different types of tape, I've been doing custom paint on 1:1 cars for most of my life.

David, Line-OTape makes a 1/64 masking(not pinstriping) tape.  #LNO 016402. I found it at Red Frog Hobbies. Is this of any help?

Thanks Frank, this helps a lot.  I've been to Line O Tape's site and it's pretty much useless when it comes to finding a specific product.

Edited by Psychographic