Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's in the box! Pictures of what is included on the 57 Corvette from the Corvette Collection by MPC

RDean58

Last week I scored this from that evil place for a pretty good price. Here is what is included in this version of the kit.

Here is the box this kit came from

MPCVetteSet.jpg

1.jpg

The body looks pretty good. I have read where the rear wheel wells are larger than they should be, but then again, I have looked at pictures of the real car and have noticed how tall the tires are. 1/25 scale tires are not as tall (in scale) as the OEM tires on the Corvettes are so perhaps that is why the wheel wells look larger than they should. Just a thought.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

This tree has the convertible top, roll bar, an expansion tank, headers, and a set of injectors for the engine.

6.jpg

Here is the hard top, front suspension, rear suspension, traction bars, front pan and hood.

7.jpg

Engine, exhaust pipes, 2 four barrel intake, blower intake, and various other pieces.

8.jpg

A close up of the engine parts. The kit comes with a standard distributor with no shielding for it. Not sure if this is correct for a carbureted Corvette engine.

9.jpg

Wheel backs and engine compartment. The kit does not come with any heater hoses for this area.

10.jpg

Chromed oil pan and valve covers, along with the twin air cleaners (not correct for the stock 56 or 57 Corvette). MPC removed all the custom touches like the open grille area and slotted mags that came in the original kit.

11.jpg

12.jpg

Tires are totally incorrect Goodyear 10" wide tires.

So, what do I think of it? I think it is a really good place to start building an accurate 57. Perhaps not quite as good as the AMT 57 Corvette. I think I'll try and use some Monogram 1/24 wide whites to fill up those wheel wells and I might just go with a single 4 bbl since I am building a 57 with the twin carbs to replicate a 56. I'll have to look in my parts box for the heater hose that belongs in the engine compartment though.

Thanks for looking!

Hmmmm, I dunno Bob. I've always thought for years that there was too little real estate between the top of the rear wheel wells on the '57 kit to the top of its fenders. 

Here's a pic of a '56 (same car) and you can see the difference in the kits wheelwells as opposed to the 1:1.

1.jpg

56_Vette_6.jpg

Wouldn't be too hard to fix with some .020 styrene, but that's up to you. ;)

Edited by MrObsessive

I've had one of those 3-Vette sets for a couple decades, but have never opened it. Thanks for the preview!

I'm sorry to see that it didn't include all the original 1966-issue parts. Now THAT was a kit!

But I'm sure you'll have fun with it and build a nice replica. Thanks again and model on!

Hmmmm, I dunno Bob. I've always thought for years that there was too little real estate between the top of the rear wheel wells on the '57 kit to the top of its fenders. 

Here's a pic of a '56 (same car) and you can see the difference in the kits wheelwells as opposed to the 1:1.

1.jpg

56_Vette_6.jpg

Wouldn't be too hard to fix with some .020 styrene, but that's up to you. ;)

Yeah.... it does look a little shy.  But like you said, should not be to hard to fill that area in some.

All issues of that '57, even the original, have the enlarged rear wheel openings.  If you have an MPC '60 kit (one of the stock versions, not the flip-front one) compare the rear wheel openings on that body to the '57.  The stock '60 body would be good to use as a template for fixing the '57.

MPC also offered a '57 Corvette slot car.  It too had the enlarged rear wheel openings.  I wouldn't be surprised if the '57 slot car body (hood molded shut) eventually got converted to the flip-front body. 

If you have an MPC '60 kit (one of the stock versions, not the flip-front one) compare the rear wheel openings on that body to the '57.  The stock '60 body would be good to use as a template for fixing the '57.

I think the '60 kit--currently available--also has most if not all of the "goodies" from the original '57 that seem to be missing from this issue.

#1 The larger rear wheel wells may be there because of the drag option with slicks and all.  #2 The distributer shielding would be on any Corvette with an OEM radio. Remember these bodies were fiberglass and the distributer would make the radio sound like a musical tachometer. Other than a few fitment issues here and there this is a good base kit.

• 3 weeks later...

" Perhaps not quite as good as the AMT 57 Corvette. "

I have the AMT/Ertl '57 on the bench right now and near as I can tell it's the same kit.  It must be an older issue as the one I have does not have those tires?

There were two different AMT/Ertl kits. (Not counting Street Machine issues) an MPC reissue and a new tool kit with separate frame and platform style interior. Other than a slightly largish headlights and not quite correctly shaped side coves it's a super nice kit.

PA070014-vi.jpg

57Corvettechassis-vi.jpg

Edited by Dave Darby

There were two different AMT/Ertl kits. (Not counting Street Machine issues) an MPC reissue and a new tool kit with separate frame and platform style interior. Other than a slightly largish headlights and not quite correctly shaped side coves it's a super nice kit.

PA070014-vi.jpg

57Corvettechassis-vi.jpg

Thanks for clearing that up Dave.  I must have the MPC clone, 1 piece chassis - tub interior.  Says AMT/ERTL on one of the sprues.

Dave, that's a mighty nice lookin' '57! Believe it or not when I was building my Monogram '57 years ago, I used some of the parts off that kit despite it being 1/25. Namely the windshield frame (had to widen it) and the taillights. Of all the C1 'Vettes kitted, I think AMT captured the look and "sweep" of the car's wraparound windshield the best with the newer tool. I originally was going to use the whole car, but those side coves were a little off putting at the time. Nowadays, I to me they don't look so bad-------I could tweak them a bit if need be. 

Edited by MrObsessive