Model Cars Magazine Forum

Original Issue MPC 1956/57 Corvette

RDean58

I got down to the basement today and got a bit done on my newest addition.

C1.jpg

I'm not sure if I'm going to use these tires and wheels, I am just using them to hold the frame off the ground. Wheels came with the kit while the tires are standard AMT Firestones.

C2.jpg

The 240 horsepower 265 :-)

C3.jpg

C4.jpg

How far off are those rear wheel wells you ask?

C5.jpg

C6.jpg

About this far! I made the template from the AMT 57 Corvette then taped it onto the MPC body. Looks like there is quite a bit I have to fill in.

C7.jpg

A closer shot of the template and wheel well size difference.

Thanks for looking!

.......one of my all time favorite MPC kits, I have 2 still mib and 2 of the 1960s as well. you should find this a very interesting build project due to the many option's offered in that kit. I love the open steel wheel's on it, and wanted to ask  you, are you building this stock or a race version as I am going to .....like to hear your thoughts, Robert.....the Ace.........:D

C1.jpg

I'm not sure if I'm going to use these tires and wheels, I am just using them to hold the frame off the ground. Wheels came with the kit while the tires are standard AMT Firestones.

C2.jpg

C3.jpg

C4.jpg

C5.jpg

C6.jpg

About this far! I made the template from the AMT 57 Corvette then taped it onto the MPC body. Looks like there is quite a bit I have to fill in.

C7.jpg

Thanks for looking!

:D

So why not just build the AMT kit if you have one?

The AMT kit doesn't have the hard top (and the MPC one won't fit without major workarounds), doesn't have all the cool old optional parts, and doesn't have ANY of the retro-stalgia of the first-gen MPC! B)

The AMT kit doesn't have the hard top (and the MPC one won't fit without major workarounds), doesn't have all the cool old optional parts, and doesn't have ANY of the retro-stalgia of the first-gen MPC! B)

.......like Smokey sang,,,,'I  second that emotion',,,,,.........the Ace..........

I have cannibalized a few of these kits for their good parts but never built one. The side view looks almost as if the wheel base its self is to short. The front tires are to far back in their opening and the rears of course are to far forward. Can the suspension be relocated in such a way that everything would line up?   

• 1 month later...

C1.jpg

C2.jpg

C3.jpg

C4.jpg

C5.jpg

C6.jpg

C7.jpg

Thanks for looking!

....Robert, how are you making out with this build.....I've been eye balling one of my 56/57 MPC kit's in the last week or so, almost ready to jump in....interested in hearing and seeing a current report if you have one....best,,,the Ace...:D

Edited by AC Norton
text

Hi Ace!

I've been trying to get some of the other Vettes done that are littering my bench. Finally got the 88 Convert done and am working on the MPC 75 convertible, and the Revell 67, 68, and 69 kits.  I'm just waiting for a nice day or two so I can do some painting!  The 75 Convert is coming along, all I have left is the interior to finish and some small detailing to do.  Here is a picture of the 75 right after I painted it.

2.jpg