Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Comet 202 Sedan hobby bracket racer

Thanks Walter

I think I have most of the major scratch building complete. Now its just finishing up sanding and shaping and then I can start building and painting.

The roll cage is built and it is snapped into the mounting plates. It will be removed for painting. I still need to make the door panels, modify the dash and make the inside part of the C pillars.

Of course more filling, sanding priming on the body. Very close though.

I also did, or should I say my brother in law helped me redo our wood floor. The original contractor set the joints to close together from one run to the next. They tell you to offset the joints at least 6". If you can offset them further do it. The joints will hold much better. Ask me how I know.  

Thanks for the advise, floors are almost done.

I took a break from them last night and worked on the model a little. 

My Comet's original gas tank didn't go from frame rail to frame rail, it was narrower on one side. Also there is a lip around the opening the at the tank drops into so I scratched up those things and made the opening for the fuel cell. The interior is pretty much ready for some paint. The rear suspension is pretty much mocked up and ready to be painted as well. 

I have started the painting and assembling process.

I worked on the seat and seat belts the last two nights.
I used the Scale Motor Sports PE kit and it come with the belt material.
My buckle on the real car was different but I am still happy with the look of the harness in general.
I used one of my custom decals to make the RJS label for the left shoulder harness.

I'm using some model railroad detail parts for the nuts and washers.

dsc04313.jpg
dsc04312.jpg
20140410.jpg

20170212.jpg
20170210.jpg
20170210.jpg
20170211.jpg
20170213.jpg

Edited by Reeves Racing

Thanks Mark, I am adding quite a bit more detail to this one than I usually do.

I made the fuse block and the master cut off relay and got them painted and installed. I also finished up the dash. Made gauge faces and toggle switches and put PE rings around the gauges and PE washers on the toggle switches. Used wire insulation for roll bar padding.

Thanks Tom.

I tried several sets of headers and much like the real car none would clear the spring towers. So I used some solder and I'm making my own.

This solder is the perfect size for the primaries and is super soft. I super glued the ends where the collector goes and drilled a hole in the middle of the four pipes and glued a rod in the middle and then a bigger piece of tube stock. Then I put on some shrink tube, shrank it and then put on another layer of shrink tube to make the collector.
I will use some more tube stock to make the turn downs.

I took the carb back off because I have ordered a Detail Master carburetor PE linkage and bracket set. I am going try another first for me and use the tungsten filament from an 1157 bulb as the throttle return spring.

I also added some nuts to the coil overs and detail painted the rearend. I had two different springs rates on the back of the car hence the silver and dark blue springs.

The steering wheel is installed. 

20170239.jpg
20170232.jpg
20170231.jpg
20170235.jpg
20170234.jpg
20170233.jpg
20170236.jpg
20170237.jpg
20170238.jpg

Edited by Reeves Racing

I did some more over the weekend. BMF, windows, tachometer, wiring and starter solenoid, master cylinder and proportioning valve, fuel pressure regulator and gauge, checked length of fuel line to carb. I'm waiting on some PE carb linkage before I mount the carb permanently. I made the support braces and test fitted them to see if there was enough clearance, added fuel pump and filter, 1/2" copper fuel line, and the hardware for the fuel cell mounts. Replaced the steering wheel with one that looked better, mounted body, mounted rear end, mounted radiator, electric fan, radiator supports, made radiator hoses, mounted alternator and charge wire, added tie down chain and hardware.

20170240.jpg
20170242.jpg
20170241.jpg
20170247.jpg
20170243.jpg
20170248.jpg
20170244.jpg
20170245.jpg
20170246.jpg

Edited by Reeves Racing

The repaint was successful. I did hit one snag, I broke the windshield so Hi had to find another 64 Thunderbolt on eBay to get another windshield.

The BMF (looks lumpy in the pictures but better in person) is done and the window channels and inside trim is painted and the rear and side glasses are installed. I made them from sheet stock.

I started on the decals which is my favorite part of a build. I am really happy with the way it's tuning out. I wish some of my detail work was a little cleaner but that's where my vision for the build exceeds my skill set. 

Finished the decals last night. I need to reapply the BMF to the lower windshield trim and as soon as I get the new windshield I will be able to finish it up. I am also waiting on a PE carb linkage set to finish up the carburetor and permanently mount it. I am hoping the parts show up today or tomorrow.

I finished up the disc brakes, the real car had 65 V8 Mustang spindles, 89 Ford Ranger rotors, 90 Chevy S10 calipers and Cadillac brake hoses and an adapter kit from Scarebird Fabrications.

The chrome pens are awesome for touching up the BMF. 

I will finish detailing my trailer and the hitch on the truck and I will have a miniature of my tow rig.
I set it on the bench last night. Boy does that bring back memories. I sold the truck when we moved to Louisville and I sold the race car a year and half later, and my trailer was stolen so I no longer have any these in real life any more lol...

Here are some pictures.