Model Cars Magazine Forum

’49 Mercury Wagon (Completed!)

Intmd8r

Pretty excited about my next build – Project: Battlewagon

I’ll be kit bashing my favorite parts from the Revell ’49 Merc coupe and the Revell ’49 Merc Woody Wagon, adding a Jimmy Flintstone chopped body, and a little help from my parts box.

Here’s a quick mock up of what I have so far:

photo warwagon2_zpse9igs1t3.jpg photo warwagon1_zps9mcwsrs0.jpg photo warwagon3_zpsidfqctct.jpg

The stance will be pretty close to what’s in the pictures now.  So far, I’ve lowered the wagon chassis by fabrication my own “drop spindles” and “lowering blocks”.  Some of you may already know, the hoods from the Chopped Coupe kit are NOT a direct fit on the wagon body.  To remedy this, I grafted the top half of the louvered hood from the coupe kit onto the bottom half of the hood from the wagon kit. In hindsight, probably would have been less work to rework the louvered hood, but its hard to go back after you start cutting lol.  Paint will reveal how successful I was with the surgery.

This build will also be victim to my new Iwata NEO air brush,  I’m a Noobie with airbrushing (but not a virgin;)), so we’ll see how things turn out

Edited by Intmd8r
Completed!

I was going to ask about the hood when I saw the first photo. One of the features that I think would look good is to have the rounded corners where the hood drops down in front. The louvered hood looks perfect with this body style.

I really like the looks of that JF body and if you want to do weathered wood go back to June of 2014 on this site and look for a post by bplecher55 (how to make plastic look like weathered wood).  I think it is a a great  how-to.

Thanks for the tip.  I looked up the post - interesting approach, and it certainly looks great.  I was thinking of going in a slightly different direction.  The below is my first exploration into weathering wood - using tips from the railroad guys.  Here, I used India ink, but on REAL wood for the fence.   

FYI - the 'Cuda was my first try with my POS Badger airbrush.

'70 Plymout Grand Coupe photo DSC00149.jpg

'70 Plymout Grand Coupe photo DSC00153.jpg

You're a lucky man Steve. I got both of my Badger 200's from Michael's about 4 years ago and they were on clearance for $19.99 each. I read about the clearance over at FSM so I COMPLETELY blindsided the store manager by asking her for two and telling her that they were only 20 bucks each. She argued about it by saying, "Whatever" and "I haven't heard about that! " only to go to the register and scan them for ...................$19.99. She was dumbfounded!! lol.

In short..........Michaels has some GREAT deals.

Didn't you do wood grain on those surf boards, which turned out great. 

Glad to see you got an air brush. 

Yup-you can say I have some wood under my belt. WAIT-what did I say?!?

Scored the airbrush from Michael's-thank you 60% off coupon!

My awesome wife bought me the compressor to go with it.

That's a tough one to describe.  I have an idea of the direction of where to take things, but I'm not trying to recreate a rendering or anything of that sort.  Suppose that give me some freedom with the build.

Basically, I want the paint to match the rough and raw attitude of the body.I'll be as surprised as anyone else on how the end result will play out.

Yup-you can say I have some wood under my belt. WAIT-what did I say?!?

Scored the airbrush from Michael's-thank you 60% off coupon!

My awesome wife bought me the compressor to go with it.

lol, good one.

Nice snag! 

This is going to an interesting paint job. I dig it. 

Edited by Rider

Made some progress on the Battlewagon this weekend

Several layers of paint (and 4 different shades of green), the body is nearly finished.  We now have paint and rust!

Unfortunately the masking tape took off some of the paint on the wood frame and panels.  Guess the paint wasn’t as cured as I thought.  Not the end of the world, just alters my strategy moving forward.

Below at the mock up pics at this stage.  A new base coat was applied to the wood frame before I wrapped it up for the night.  Still more work to be done, but you get the idea….

photo IMG_1075_zpsdxl1thex.jpg photo IMG_1074_zpsgnh1aqul.jpg photo IMG_1073_zps7sd9jagl.jpg photo IMG_1072_zps4tr6y3f5.jpg photo IMG_1071_zpsbjxpmq7m.jpg photo IMG_1070_zpslqv3a1c0.jpg

I know – lousy iPhone pics and lousy lighting.  Not much light in my basement (aka dungeon) at 11:30 pm….

Made some progress on the Battlewagon this weekend

Several layers of paint (and 4 different shades of green), the body is nearly finished.  We now have paint and rust!

Unfortunately the masking tape took off some of the paint on the wood frame and panels.  Guess the paint wasn’t as cured as I thought.  Not the end of the world, just alters my strategy moving forward.

Below at the mock up pics at this stage.  A new base coat was applied to the wood frame before I wrapped it up for the night.  Still more work to be done, but you get the idea….

photo IMG_1075_zpsdxl1thex.jpg photo IMG_1074_zpsgnh1aqul.jpg photo IMG_1073_zps7sd9jagl.jpg photo IMG_1072_zps4tr6y3f5.jpg photo IMG_1071_zpsbjxpmq7m.jpg photo IMG_1070_zpslqv3a1c0.jpg

I know – lousy iPhone pics and lousy lighting.  Not much light in my basement (aka dungeon) at 11:30 pm….

I experienced the same problem on my first woody build. I think that #1. The decals just don't stick all that well. #2 Regular masking tape if left on the body to long will invariably lift paint or decals. This is what has happened time and again for myself. The best results for myself has been to remask an area rather than leaving an area covered for an extended period of time.  #3 I now use nothing but Tamiya masking tape. I have actually gone so far as to cover the area where the wood trim will be and paint the body first. Then mask the painted body and then do the wood treatment. It seems backwards but it has worked with no problems for me. Just an idea for next time.