Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 A/S Pontiac Catalina

MarkJ

I have to make a back glass so this I how I'm going about it. I used just regular old printer paper. Draped it around the outside of the opening then trace on it from the inside to give myself a pattern for the glass. It still has to be trimmed but it gets me in the ballpark. You cut out the paper pattern and transfer it to some clear plastic. I got this clear plastic from a knife sharpener I got for Christmas. Never throw away your clear plastic packaging material it might come in handy some day. I installed some strips around the back glass opening and this will allow me to just snap the glass into place using the strips to hold it there. I borrowed my wife's hair dryer to heat and bend the back glass into the basic shape I need. I tried using some evergreen clear plastic sheet but it was too thick and when I tried to bend it, it left stretch marks in the plastic. I will still probably need to use some white glue but hopefully just a minimal amount. The strip at the bottom of the opening is actually two strips which form a type of gutter for the glass to sit in.

I made back glass mouldings from half round styrene strips. I am through with the roof mods and ready to move on to priming the body and then painting. The back glass snapped into place pretty good. When I do the final install of the back glass I can get it to fit a little more flush in the corners. It will actually fit better than some kit glasses I have installed.

I ran into a road block yesterday. I decided to go ahead and prep all the parts that needed priming and found that the wheels are missing out of the kit. I bought this kit 2nd hand at the ipms show in Stafford texas many years ago and it seemed like everything was in the kit at that time. Actually I think that the wheels are the only thing that are missing. This kit was reissued not too long ago by round 2 so I guess I will wait till april when the show comes back and hope that one of the vendors has one for sale. So I guess I will have to shelve this build till then. I looked through my parts box but could not find any wheels that could take the place of the kit wheels. I have some Holman and Moody 9 inch rims I bought from p.p.p. but they are 1/24 scale and too deep set. So I guess this wip will have to end for a while till then. This has taught me a lesson. Completely inventory the kit before starting a build. Thanks guys for all the positive comments

Really nice work on this project, the body looks excellent after all of that hard work and your interior will be a beauty when finished, too. Hopefully you'll be able to find a proper set of wheels on it so we can see the finished product.:)

Making that rear window from clear plastic packaging is a great idea. I've tried to heat up sheet acetate a couple of times but never succeeded in it. I think I'll have to try this one next.

Really nice work on this project, the body looks excellent after all of that hard work and your interior will be a beauty when finished, too. Hopefully you'll be able to find a proper set of wheels on it so we can see the finished product.:)

Making that rear window from clear plastic packaging is a great idea. I've tried to heat up sheet acetate a couple of times but never succeeded in it. I think I'll have to try this one next.

Thanks, Niko. I'm pretty sure that someone will have that kit at the ipms show in april.

When the owner of the original car got it from the factory, he decided to put aftermarket seat covers on the seats to protect them. I am trying to duplicate them the best I can using one picture from a bad angle. The original car had different trim panels then what comes in the kit so I am trying to change them to look a little more like what was on the real car. Again the picture I have is not that good quality so they will just be in the ball park but not exactly like the ones that came in the real car. I will have to make new door handles from scratch but it should not be that hard. They are just small pieces of rod and strips glued together. 62donmosech1_zpslowrkkvp.jpg

Edited by MarkJ

I ran into a road block yesterday. I decided to go ahead and prep all the parts that needed priming and found that the wheels are missing out of the kit. I bought this kit 2nd hand at the ipms show in Stafford texas many years ago and it seemed like everything was in the kit at that time. Actually I think that the wheels are the only thing that are missing. This kit was reissued not too long ago by round 2 so I guess I will wait till april when the show comes back and hope that one of the vendors has one for sale. So I guess I will have to shelve this build till then. I looked through my parts box but could not find any wheels that could take the place of the kit wheels. I have some Holman and Moody 9 inch rims I bought from p.p.p. but they are 1/24 scale and too deep set. So I guess this wip will have to end for a while till then. This has taught me a lesson. Completely inventory the kit before starting a build. Thanks guys for all the positive comments

Mark,

While admiring your fine work I came across the above post. Scenes Unlimited sells resin Pontiac steel wheels. They look like an exact match for the kit wheels. Perhaps the wheels will fill the void?

Mark,

While admiring your fine work I came across the above post. Scenes Unlimited sells resin Pontiac steel wheels. They look like an exact match for the kit wheels. Perhaps the wheels will fill the void?

Thanks, Frank. But I think a great friend I have on the board says he will send me the wheels out of a kit he has. But thank you for the info. I really appreciate it.

Thanks, Frank. But I think a great friend I have on the board says he will send me the wheels out of a kit he has. But thank you for the info. I really appreciate it.

Glad it worked out for you Mark! I painted and detailed the steelies on my Catalina and they look really good that way. Maybe following along here will motivate me to work on my Pontiac.(after it sitting in the box for ten years or so :unsure:)

Oh I know that I am right.  Not only am I very well versed with Dick Brannan's Super Stock Fords, I am equally if not more well versed about the Pontiac Super Duty 421 cars, Catalinas and Tempest.  At some point I will be building all 12 of the 1963 Super Duty Tempest (coupes and wagons). 

I did forget to mention that the wheels are gold too.  It will make into a NICE model.  Keep up the good work.  I like you attention to detail, especially with the seat design.  

hppp_0909_13_z+1962_pontiac_catalina_super_duty+interior_view.jpg

Edited by johnwitzke

I would like to add that a very good friend of mine, Rocky Rotella wrote an article about this car in a issue of High Performance Pontiac a number of years back.  The last I knew the original car still exists and is located in small town in Nebraska, about 60 miles from where I live 

Edited by johnwitzke

I would like to add that a very good friend of mine, Rocky Rotella wrote an article about this car in a issue of High Performance Pontiac a number of years back.  The last I knew the original car still exists and is located in small town in Nebraska, about 60 miles from where I live 

John go to your private messages. I have a question for you.

I am finally ready to paint the body. I had to order some paint from scalefinishes because I could not find the right color from Tamiya or Testors in an aerosol can. I will have to dust off my airbrush and relearn how to use it. Its been years since I have used it. I have heard good things about scalefinishes and have seen pictures of models on google that were finished with their paints and they looked beautiful. I have a spare body to practice on before I paint this one. I need to add some more putty to the seats and do some more sanding and I need to add door handles to the door trim panels. A great friend on the board has come through and will send me the missing wheels I need.

Catalina3.jpg

Hmmm..........This "bubbletop" would more than likely be a custom job as Chevy was the only one to keep that roofline in '62 for the Bel Air. That might have been proposed, but the powers that be decided for whatever reason to go with the more formal roofline like the first one you have pictured. Very nice looking car though! B)