Model Cars Magazine Forum

Single Plane intake

I spoke with Ron today via email, and amazingly enough, he has one dead on with what I'm looking for. here's the link to it.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/DYA97J5KS/440block-4bb-single-intake-1-25

it also comes with a windage tray cover. It is a little expensive but its 3D printed. Frank I'd love to see what you come up with when your done modifying it.

I spoke with Ron today via email, and amazingly enough, he has one dead on with what I'm looking for. here's the link to it.

it also comes with a windage tray cover. It is a little expensive but its 3D printed. Frank I'd love to see what you come up with when your done modifying it.

Thanks for the link and the leg work on this manifold, Chris. I think I'm going to place an order for future builds.

I'll have to try taking a photo of where I am with my manifold project...

Don't want to highjack this thread, but has anyone had any experience with those Dragster front wire wheels from the same shop? https://www.shapeways.com/product/HKU3JEFEM/drag-front-wire-19-inch-1-25?optionId=61643929

If they're good, they would definitely be worth that price. But painting them would definitely be a real pain as the tires and wheels are molded together. Anyway I'd order a few sets of them immediately if they're good quality and the spokes are not too thick.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Chris! My manifold from Ron via Shapeways came today. I'm going to try to photograph it and my modded manifold and get a pic up soon. Stay tuned!

Here's the Mopar intake from 3D Model Specialties The 440 is from the AMT '70 Super Bee.

DSC02660.JPG

DSC02659.JPG

Edited by Dodge Driver

Still would work and probably look much better on a small block with how narrow it is!

John, from flange to flange a cast iron 340 intake is a shade over eleven inches.(around .440 in 1/25 scale)

The 3D manifold is about .435 in the same area.

Edited by Dodge Driver

It looks like a potentially really nice part. 

If the dimensions are as stated above (.440" for the correct flange-to-flange measurement, vs. .435" for the part shown), the resulting discrepancy is only .005". so a .0025" shim on either side of the manifold should clear up the problem nicely. 

For such a small amount, it's always possible, probably preferable, to move the heads inboard just slightly (which I often do to allow a manifold from one kit to fit a similar engine in another one).

Personally, I'd prefer to have the part made slightly OVERSIZE at the flanges so it could be filed-to-fit, rather than undersize requiring shimming.

Lots less work to correct it...and if somebody is going to the trouble of purchasing a relatively expensive 3D printed part for a specific application, they're probably the kind of modeler who would like it to actually fit with no gaps or wonkyness.

John, from flange to flange a cast iron 340 intake is a shade over eleven inches.(around .440 in 1/25 scale)

The 3D manifold is about .435 in the same area.

Ummmm yeah.....so? I said SMALL BLOCK.......... and the Mopar Chrysler LA 340 is a small block the last time I knew..... Pointed that out in my first comment on it setting on that 440 and how narrow the intake is compared to the space distance on the AMT/MPC 440 that its said to be setting on! AND on a small block, a 318, 340 or even a 360...............would look GREAT! I didn't mention the 273, as The block I know that best represents that engine is a bit off, but looks good.... the Lindberg 273 in the A100 kits.

If the dimensions are as stated above (.440" for the correct flange-to-flange measurement, vs. .435" for the part shown), the resulting discrepancy is only .005". so a .0025" shim on either side of the manifold should clear up the problem nicely. 

For such a small amount, it's always possible, probably preferable, to move the heads inboard just slightly (which I often do to allow a manifold from one kit to fit a similar engine in another one).

Personally, I'd prefer to have the part made slightly OVERSIZE at the flanges so it could be filed-to-fit, rather than undersize requiring shimming.

Lots less work to correct it...and if somebody is going to the trouble of purchasing a relatively expensive 3D printed part for a specific application, they're probably the kind of modeler who would like it to actually fit with no gaps or wonkyness.

I totally agree! If I were to spend the $$$$ to get the part, I'd at least want it to fit........ OR be ABLE to be filed to fit the given space where it will rest in-place.

The other question is, IF that part is .435" and the actual small block measures out to .440" IS the "angle" right? Remember guys, the lowest part of that intake is more narrow as the top of that said flange is wider that creates an angle, WHAT engine is that part actually made to fit? Not ALL engines HAVE the same head angle! 383 Mopar and 440 are GREAT examples of this! You can swap the heads, from one engine to the other, but you can't swap the intakes! The deck on the 2 blocks is different, the 383 B engine is a low deck, as the 440 is a raised deck.... BOTH still are Big Blocks however, 383 is a "B" engine and the 440 is a RB engine.

So having that in-mind, does the 3D printed intake carry the correct angles for the heads to a small block, has anyone tried loose fitting this part yet?

Ummmm yeah.....so? I said SMALL BLOCK.......... and the Mopar Chrysler LA 340 is a small block the last time I knew..... Pointed that out in my first comment on it setting on that 440 and how narrow the intake is compared to the space distance on the AMT/MPC 440 that its said to be setting on! AND on a small block, a 318, 340 or even a 360...............would look GREAT! I didn't mention the 273, as The block I know that best represents that engine is a bit off, but looks good.... the Lindberg 273 in the A100 kits.

The measurements confirm what you were saying...

The printed manifold measures out to be scale accurate for a small block.

Sorry for anything seeming contrary to that.

Bill, this manifold is described as fitting a big-block Mopar. A 1/25 scale manifold needs to be .500 wide to fit a big block, by my measurements.

On dimension alone this manifold is a better fit on a small-block Mopar. It's still a little loose on an AMT 340.

According to Shapeways (where I purchased this) I'm the first person to order one. I guess the design needs some tweaking to fit the engine it was designed for.