Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Cougar Fastback Project

RestoModGuy

I have to agree the Fords of this time period lend themselves to a fastback roof. I'm partial to the Fairlane fastbacks. If you should go with the spoiler sometimes less is more. A very small lip type spoiler I think would complement the design the best. Sometimes its the least obvious styling feature that has the greatest overall impact on the whole appearance.    

A '69-'70 Cougar's roof (incl windshield opening) is wider than that on the '67-'68 Cougar.    Ditto for the same year Mustangs, so one would be best to use a '67-'68 Mustang (or Shelby) to make a '67-'68 Cougar fastback, while it would be best to use a '69-'70 Mustang's roof to make a '69-'70 Cougar fastback.   The rear glass from a '68-'69 Torino fastback could be used in lieu of a '69-'70 Mustang for a '69-'70 Cougar fastback. . .

re: the rear spoiler / wing on your Cougar, it would look better w/out it, or you could use a modest, molded-in place rear decklid spoiler - perhaps even not quite as tall as that on the '67-68 Shelby.

I'll be following your build - like it thus far!

Thank you for your comments, and I agree completely, especially after spending time with this quick roof bash on the 67 Cougar. I'm not sure I'm liking how the larger wider Torino's roof sweep is sitting on the trunk area of the Cougar, it's too high and either I need to do some surgery to correct it ot find a junk-yard 67-68 mustang to transplant. 

I'll save the 69 Torino roof sweep and transplant to a 69 Cougar as you suggest, which is a better fit that I can tell. Look for an update of the switch-a-roo in the next few weeks.

I like what your doing here. Both versions look good in their on way and you obviously did a Grey job measuring and figuring before you did any cutting. 

Do you have any pics of the layout?

Thanks James2, No I don't have any layout pics for this one, I'll try on the regraft I'm planning on.

I did a very simple layover and used tape to mark my cut lines and had some dremel grinding that could not be cut out due to the thick resin material of the backend of the Cougar. It's not easy when working with resin as you may know, its super soft and cuts and sands/files quickly. 

Next to a 67 fastback mustang, this Cougar is long!

Photo_2017-01-18_09-22-11.thumb.jpg.91e7

It looks to me if you shortened the rear window to the black line as the starting point it would look better. Looks like the roof section is to short compared to the rear window. 

I do really like your build. I have been thinking of the same thing with a 64 Falcon. 

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...