Model Cars Magazine Forum

Plastic Putty

Give it a go on an old junk body and tell us how it works! Looks interesting!

I agree.

After all, it's not as if you want to know before you buy it...you already have it.

Filling with this putty is one thing; how well it reacts to common paints is another. As a suggestion, get a plastic spoon (free at the golden arches) and fill part of the backside on the handle (leave some of the handle as-is so you see how your paint reacts to the plastic). Sand, prep, prime, etc. and let us know how it worked out.

Edited by BigTallDad

Just be careful with heavy layers. It's a one part so, as it cures, it is going to shrink. Small scratches, pinholes, etc. will probably see good results but anything more then that will shrink and create ghost images under the paint.

As mentioned, if you use the DuPont or PlastiKote lacquer primers, test it first. :)

Mark

wonder how it is for resin bodies?

Hi drew, I would be hesitant to use it on resin. I tried using Testor's one part putty back in the day when I was doing master work for R&R and it would simply peel out with any sanding. A good 2 part polyester putty like USC's Icing is my go to filler for everything now-a-days. It sets up quick, is very easy to sand and does not shrink and takes any type of paint you want to throw on it. It works especially well with resin.

Mark

thank you for your reply. Will look for some of the USC Icing.

You'll find it at any autobody/paint shop. It comes in a big tube and is a LOT more then you will ever need for model car work. I have it because I work on the big stuff also. Go to your autobody store and ask them for a 2 part polyester filler in a smaller tube or can. Evercoat and a few others also make similar products but I have no idea how they are packaged, quantity wise. Do not let them sell you a 1 part "glazing" or "spot" putty. These are usually lacquer based and will shrink dramatically when used in thicker amounts.

Mark

Edited by astroracer

I got great delivery(2 days for normal USPS ground!)from Ebay and so far am loving this product.It is light weight,not sticky like epoxy types,has no odor at all and molds really slick with a water dampened tool or finger so less sanding.I won't be psinting any time soon as it's only 28 degrees outside and I do have an inside place to spray so that remains to be determined.So far so good.I plan on keeping this as mt go to plastic putty.