Model Cars Magazine Forum

Auto World 1961 License Plates

Got the remains of a couple sheets somewhere; one was cut a little wrong so some had to be stitched together. Don't know about the rest, but the Illinois plate is the wrong color/style for 1961 - they used a '60 plate and changed the year. "Land of Lincoln" should be on the bottom (as it was an odd-numbered year) and the plate should be red with white characters.

Most of the Auto World plates were wrong for the year 1961. They are all correct for 1960 with the exception that they have 1961 as the year listed on them. Back in those days it was not uncommon for states to change their plates every year. Auto World designed their plates based on real 1960 license plates. But, they must not have wanted them to go out of date right away by putting the year 1961 on the plates. Again, models were seen mainly as toys for kids back then. I'm sure they figured most kids would never known that they were wrong. I know when I got my first set in the early 70's, I didn't know they wrong. I was just happy with how good the plates looked, and that they had my state of Minnesota as part of the set.

Scott

Most of the Auto World plates were wrong for the year 1961. They are all correct for 1960 with the exception that they have 1961 as the year listed on them. Back in those days it was not uncommon for states to change their plates every year.

and some of them were direct copies of the sample image the states distributed.  Note the New Jersey plate was AAA-900

I remember stopping at Auto World during a family trip back in the mid-1980s, and buying a couple of sets of those plates. I remember getting the just-reissued AMT/Ertl 1956 Ford, as well as a selection of Auto World's sponsor decal sheets. I still have those license plate sheets in the decal box, but I wish I had the foresight to pick up even more of the sponsor sheets.