Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lite-Weight Race Car Trailer

afx

I started with just the center section of the trailer from AMT's '76 Caprice kit.  Using some solid square rod I fabricated a simple frame.

DSCN4131

Then removed the tongue from the main frame section and attach to my new frame.

DSCN4134DSCN4136

That's a really good looking trailer. I have a question about the axles and since you build 1:1 trailers maybe you could enlighten me on the axle count. I'm building one of the old Revell Ski Boats and it has a single axle trailer.  I'm thinking that on a 1:1 build you would need a two axle trailer based on a boat that is around 20 ft. long and has a blown Hemi Chrysler engine. I also noticed the picture that shows your prototype has a two axle trailer for the Cobra. I know we're just building with plastic here but in the 1:1 world wouldn't you want a two axle trailer to support the weight and for stability??

Thanks David.  More axles would allow the trailer to carry heavier loads but would also add weight.  I think the emphasis is on light weight to give you more options for a tow vehicle. Haven't studied trailer design but I think a single axle can handle a race car on a short haul.  A tail heavy boat might require a different solution.  

Image result for vintage car hauling trailersImage result for vintage car hauling trailersImage result for vintage car hauling trailersImage result for vintage car hauling trailers

Edited by afx

There are kit options available for a two axle.

Image result for monogram race car & trailer kit

JC,

I had to quote this posting removing MOST of the pics you had posted but the one I left in the quote of the Revell Race Car Trailer with equipment, I'd LOVE to find one of those trailers complete! (I have pieces of on, just the tongue) but it looks like it be a really GOOD trailer kit!

JC,

I had to quote this posting removing MOST of the pics you had posted but the one I left in the quote of the Revell Race Car Trailer with equipment, I'd LOVE to find one of those trailers complete! (I have pieces of on, just the tongue) but it looks like it be a really GOOD trailer kit!

If it helps John this kit has the same trailer but does not include all the tools and accessories.

Image result for revell modified racer with trailer

That's a really good looking trailer. I have a question about the axles and since you build 1:1 trailers maybe you could enlighten me on the axle count. I'm building one of the old Revell Ski Boats and it has a single axle trailer.  I'm thinking that on a 1:1 build you would need a two axle trailer based on a boat that is around 20 ft. long and has a blown Hemi Chrysler engine. I also noticed the picture that shows your prototype has a two axle trailer for the Cobra. I know we're just building with plastic here but in the 1:1 world wouldn't you want a two axle trailer to support the weight and for stability??

Common trailer axle capacities are: 3500 lbs - 5 bolt 15" wheels, 5200 lbs - 6 bolt 15" wheels, 6000 lbs - 6 bolt 16" wheels or 7200 lbs - 8 bolt 16" wheels.

Even with the recommended 10-15% tongue weight, the car being carried and the trailer itself would need to be very light to be safely carried by a single axle. This leaves no load margin in hot weather/high speeds where tires usually fail due to heat buildup in the carcass of the tire. (Seen any single axle trailers stranded on the highway in the summer?) ?

Also, a pair of automotive tires and wheels typically used on homebuilt trailers don't even come close to the capacities listed above.

In the 50s and 60s homebuilt trailers were very common. For engineering and liability concerns, not so much now days. As modelers, we can get away with anything ? However, I have seen many examples in the real world where "if it fits I can haul it" has lead to spectacular failures.

Tongue weight is critical to handling. That is why boat trailer axles are located further aft ( engine weight is at the rear). I once witnessed a really nice 69 Nova leave the drag strip loaded about 2 feet further aft than it should have been on a tandem avle trailer behind a 1 ton dually. When the rig hit 55 the trailer started to sway so bad that it went sideways down both shoulders before the driver was able to get it stopped. Thankfully no damage except to the driver's shorts!

Edited by Flynlo

Thanks for the info Tim. A 289 street Cobra has a curb weight of 2030 lbs.  The racing version would weigh a few hundred pounds less.  So now I can be confident that I am not overloading my trailer. :)

Edited by afx

Common trailer axle capacities are: 3500 lbs - 5 bolt 15" wheels, 5200 lbs - 6 bolt 15" wheels, 6000 lbs - 6 bolt 16" wheels or 7200 lbs - 8 bolt 16" wheels.

Even with the recommended 10-15% tongue weight, the car being carried and the trailer itself would need to be very light to be safely carried by a single axle. This leaves no load margin in hot weather/high speeds where tires usually fail due to heat buildup in the carcass of the tire. (Seen any single axle trailers stranded on the highway in the summer?) ?

Also, a pair of automotive tires and wheels typically used on homebuilt trailers don't even come close to the capacities listed above.

In the 50s and 60s homebuilt trailers were very common. For engineering and liability concerns, not so much now days. As modelers, we can get away with anything ? However, I have seen many examples in the real world where "if it fits I can haul it" has lead to spectacular failures.

Tongue weight is critical to handling. That is why boat trailer axles are located further aft ( engine weight is at the rear). I once witnessed a really nice 69 Nova leave the drag strip loaded about 2 feet further aft than it should have been on a tandem avle trailer behind a 1 ton dually. When the rig hit 55 the trailer started to sway so bad that it went sideways down both shoulders before the driver was able to get it stopped. Thankfully no damage except to the driver's shorts!

Thank you for the info. This is what I also thought. But like you said this is model building and we have a little more leeway as to how we present something. The main reason for the question was a Hemi Hydro build with the kits single axle trailer. I think I'll pass on a two axle conversion because I'm basically lazy.