Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT's Horizon TC3- Loser from the past, out of box!

Faust

Loser cars are bloody ace!

We need a lot more of them.
I'd love to see a K car, or a GM J body.
Or how about a Chevy Spectrum?

There are kits of the Chevrolet Cavalier out there. They were produced by MPC back in 1981-82, and had similar goofy styling options to the Omni 024. Fujimi also did a much later version ('95 and up), but it was in 1/32 scale.

I just picked up a horizon tc3 tonight at my club meeting for 10 bucks. 

Nice! 

We can create a "loser car" revolution! UP with the LOSER MACHINE!! 

As for Cavaliers, the MPC is a really nice kit, except for the wheels. They're only good for when you put the flares on. Otherwise, they're too wide and they stick out too far. I actually lost 1st place at a local show because of that. No fault of mine, but that's how the cookie crumbles. If you want to see a built Cavalier, go here:

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/cars/125-mpc-1982-cavalier/

Fun to read about your Cavalier model too. I owned a full size 4-door Cavalier for several years. It was too bad of a car. I like it. A year or two ago I bought an '82 Cavalier promo model cheap off of eBay. It's in perfect shape. But, it looks no where near as good as your kit build. Though the wheels fit well within the wheel wells on the promo.

Fun reading about these "losers". I really want to find an EXP model kit for my collection. I hated the car at the time. But now, I kind of like it. (Senility setting in?)

Scott

There are kits of the Chevrolet Cavalier out there. They were produced by MPC back in 1981-82, and had similar goofy styling options to the Omni 024. Fujimi also did a much later version ('95 and up), but it was in 1/32 scale.

The Fugimi Cavalier was the Toyota version. Yes, Chevy sold their Cavies under the Toyota name. The Japanese hated them becuase they were not up to the standards of Toyota's own cars. It was part of GM's and Toyota's collaboration in  those days that brought us the late 90s Chevy Nova/Geo Storm cars.

Fun to read about your Cavalier model too. I owned a full size 4-door Cavalier for several years. It was too bad of a car. I like it. A year or two ago I bought an '82 Cavalier promo model cheap off of eBay. It's in perfect shape. But, it looks no where near as good as your kit build. Though the wheels fit well within the wheel wells on the promo.

Fun reading about these "losers". I really want to find an EXP model kit for my collection. I hated the car at the time. But now, I kind of like it. (Senility setting in?)

Scott

My brother has the Cavalier promo. I wish I'd had one; I could have ripped the wheels off of it and been away to the races! 

I always thought the EXPs were loveably ugly. That's why I've got two on my site and another 3 waiting to be built! :)

The Fugimi Cavalier was the Toyota version. Yes, Chevy sold their Cavies under the Toyota name. The Japanese hated them becuase they were not up to the standards of Toyota's own cars. It was part of GM's and Toyota's collaboration in  those days that brought us the late 90s Chevy Nova/Geo Storm cars.

Oh God... that is soooo sad. I feel bad for the Japanese, and yet, the Corolla-Novas were no great shakes either. What goes around comes around, I guess!

• 1 year later...

I got one for my brother a bit ago, but I'll still looking for another one. I really wish there was a 4-door notchback Cavalier promo! 

Was there ever a promo based on this Horizon kit, or even a promo for the Omnis at all?