Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any good aftermarket small block Mopar intakes?

I'm building a 340 engine from an AMT Duster kit and its simply the best small block Mopar engine by far. All except if you want to "hop it up" a little. I have some resin 4bbl carbs but they dont go well with the stock 4bbl manifold. Is there anything out there that will give me the look and function I'm after? Thanks!

UPDATE: I found 3 other small block Mopar intakes and did a side-by-side comparison...none of them will work, and they are all hideous as far as I'm concerned. Anyone know if there are any other small block Mopar intakes available that would fit the '71 Duster 340 engine?

From left to right - '71 Duster 340, '80 Volare 318/360, '78 Lil Red Express 360, '75 Dart Sport 360(?)

0210171203a_HDR.jpg

Edited by brodie_83

Hey Brodie check out BNL resins they have a 358 sb mopar with a decent looking intake it under engines, dodge about the third or fourth from top and the price isn't to bad the whole engine is $15.50. I just got the 502 bb chevy and its a decent looking engine and the shipping was decent and very fast!

vince

Doesn't AMT offer an AAR 'Cuda with the Six-Pack ??

Revell-Monogram did, but that one is 1/24 scale and the engine is noticeably larger.  The AMT Duster kit includes a six-pack setup, but the builder here wants a single four-barrel intake.

A Chevy Small Block intake manifold should be possible to modify as they are similar regarding runners and thermostate housing, the intake manifold on the Mopar LA engine doesn't go all the way back to the distributor as the CSB intake does, but one can cut off the rearmost part from the CSB intake and modify it a bit and it will most likely fit. 

I also checked all of the SBC intakes I have and none of them will work. I will see if that BNL Resins will sell just the intake so I can see if it will work or not, then I won't be out of much money if it doesn't. Otherwise the only shot is to scratch-build one, and I have never done something like that and sounds like it could be difficult.

I used a Chevy manifold but I turned it backward so the runners would look closer to correct then I trimmed some off the back.

153 5315

After you get everything in there with an air cleaner and whatnot you can't really see much of the manifold anyway.

153 5357

BTW, the Little Red Express truck kit has a big block in it, not a small block like it should.