Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Lindberg (Pyro) "The Serpent" T-based Show Rod

Casey

Wow, Round2 is digging deep into the vault this year and reissuing the ex-Pyro "The Serpent" 1/16 scale custom T bucket show rod. This kit shares many parts with the other Pyro T kits-- Sno Skeeter, Bullhorn T, etc., bu they all have a pretty nice '60s era SBC and frame/suspension.

Here's a built-up.

I had very limited knowledge of the old 1/16 Pyro thingies before seeing this one.  After laying the parts out on the bench I was convinced that someone had a Monogram 1/8 scale "T" in front of them back in the '60's when these kits were designed.   

024.JPG

Edited by pack rat

After laying the parts out on the bench I was convinced that someone had a Monogram 1/8 scale "T" in front of them back in the '60's when these kits were designed.  

The SMC engine and suspension parts are perfect for backdating the Revell 1/16 scale '34 Fords to a '60s era car.

Edited by Casey

On 2/12/2017 at 8:11 AM, ChrisBcritter said:

They look the same. Oddly, the centers with their 12 holes are a near perfect match for 1957-66 Imperial wheels.

They should be the same. There are some other chrome wheel faces, which are more spoke-like, found in the GEE-T variant of this kit, but I don't believe they are included with the Serpent version. Here are the chrome parts for the Bullhorn T, and you can see the empty row where the wheel faces would reside:

BHT2.jpg

Edited by Casey

They should be the same. There are some other chrome wheel faces, which are more spoke-like, found in the GEE-T variant of this kit, but I don't believe they are included with the Serpent version. Here are the chrome parts for the Bullhorn T, and you can see the empty row where the wheel faces would reside:

BHT2.jpg

Here's a decent look at the GEE-T wheel covers, which still utilize the unchromed wheel halves:

1-16-pyro-gee-t-show-car-28389-p.jpg

The chrome wheel faces shown on the Gee-T box are on the Serpent test shots, and will be included in the kit as optional pieces along with a few other bits not used on the built-up I posted.

The old Serpent instruction sheet I used (photocopy-no idea re it's origin) specified the chrome faces, not the knock-offs I installed.  The knock-offs were used as they wanted the build to match the Serpent box art.

These kits are pretty cool, and look like a shrunken 1/8 Monogram T with a few things different. My only complaint is the two piece tires are awful in the Bullhorn T reissue! If Round 2 could at least give us new tires, I'd say bring 'em all back!!!

So what is next The Laramie stage Ghost..................now wouldn't that be cool!

Funny you mention this!!! Several years back there was a guy from Atlantis models that came to the Coffin Corner 2 forum asking questions about the chassis. He said that they had the molds for the Laramie Stage Ghost body, and all the other Laramie related parts, but not the chassis. Maybe Round 2 needs to contact Atlantis!

Funny you mention this!!! Several years back there was a guy from Atlantis models that came to the Coffin Corner 2 forum asking questions about the chassis. He said that they had the molds for the Laramie Stage Ghost body, and all the other Laramie related parts, but not the chassis. Maybe Round 2 needs to contact Atlantis!

that would be a good idea for Round2 !

• 1 month later...

Re: The seats.  I've since found that the Serpent Heads are two pieces that glue to the seats. So it will be as simple as leaving them off.

Now, I really want one.

Is it me or does the nose piece on the Gee-T favour the AMT XR-6 Show Rod?

So what is next The Laramie stage Ghost..................now wouldn't that be cool!

I really really hope so.......I bought a junker back 2001 for $60......I want a mint one. I have mint Serpent, SnoSkeeter and GeeT

Edited by Dave Van