Model Cars Magazine Forum

I feel this is definitely way more Hot Rod than commercial but the way the categories are laid out I guess this is where I have to put it. Anyways...

A couple of weekends ago I get a text from one of my model-rod building friends and hero's, Wes, (recently joined MCM as "Kit Karson") with a picture attached of a resin '33/'34 Panel body mocked up with fenders and wheels and asking me if he sent it to me would I build it? Well, Absolutely! I've wanted one of these bodies for years because my Dad has a real-deal '33 that we're building for him. I can't thank Wes enough for his generosity!!! Not only did he send me the body (which I think is Hendrix?) he sent me a complete Lindberg '34 Pickup donor kit.

This is gonna be a close replica of how we're building my Dad's real one. The basic plan we have is a dropped axle to get the front down a couple of inches, a legit '57 Chevy 283 "Power Pack" hi-po 4-barrel engine with an adapter to a '39 Ford 3-speed trans and the stock '33 rear axle, 30's Ford wire wheels with big & little bias-ply tires and to leave the patina'd dull black exterior finish as-is. Now, my Dad does have a few "fantasy, money no object" things he'd do if it were possible like find the parts for and rebuild his incomplete '57 Rochester fuel injection unit and  put a Columbia 2-speed accessory rear axle out back for overdrive on the highway. Since this is a model I'll be adding those things.

Hosted on Fotki 

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

After a few hours of raiding my parts and kits, here's a layout of most of the pieces I'll need.

Hosted on Fotki

This body is quite nicely rendered. The overall shape and layout of the body lines is very accurate as compared to a real one. The only thing that has me puzzled is the rear windows? I'll be grafting in the rear window openings from a Revell '37 Panel kit which are dead-on correct. I can also then use the glass inserts from the '37 kit which will be nice.

Hosted on Fotki

The Lindberg (formerly AMT) '34 Pickup frame and chassis parts leave a lot to be desired so I'm going to be heavily upgrading it. I will be changing out the center "X" for one from a Revell '40 Ford. While in real life they are very different, the '40 "X" is the best thing going in scale for a detailed "X" that actually looks like a stamping with flanges, holes, etc and can be easily cut-in to the '34 frame. I'll also be changing the rear cross member and using the Columbia 2-speed rear axle from Revell's stock '40 Coupe combined with the spring/radius rods and rear cross member from Revell '48 Convertible. Up front I'll be using the dropped I-beam axle from Revell's newer '29/'30 A hot rod kits.

Hosted on Fotki

Wheels, hubcaps and front tires are from AMT's '34 5-Window Coupe and the rear tires are Monogram '41 Lincoln. The rear wheels will need to be deepened a touch and wrapped in .015" strip to fit the Lincoln tires but no worries, done that before.

Hosted on Fotki

The basis for the 283 engine will be from Revell's '57 Chevy Black Widow. I will cut the trans/bell housing off and using the one of the Chevy-to-Ford trans adapters pictured. The top one is from Revell's Ed Roth Tweedy Pie T and the lower (better) is from AMT's Parts Pack Chevy engine. The trans will be cut off of the flathead from Revell's '37 Panel.

Hosted on Fotki

Speed parts! The engine will be accessorized with the Revell '57 Chevy Black Widow Rochester fuel injection, AMT Double Dragster Corvette valve covers, Revell Parts Pak 421 Pontiac Spalding dual-coil distributor and 50's style Hedman Hedders from (I think) MPC's '32 Chevy Cabriolet.

Hosted on Fotki

I managed to get the thing balanced on some tires for a basic mock up. The rear will come up some but the front will be about like this. Just like the real truck is gonna be, not too low with some rake.

Hosted on Fotki

Tons more to come. Comments welcome!

B)

The Resin body is very nice, except for the rear window. Your father has a really solid body to work with on his build.  

Not to worry, I'll fix that issue!

And, yes, my Dad's panel body is very nice. It's never been hit, has just a few spots of rust-through and all of the intricate woodwork inside is pristine. 

I feel this is definitely way more Hot Rod than commercial but the way the categories are laid out I guess this is where I have to put it. Anyways...

A couple of weekends ago I get a text from one of my model-rod building friends and hero's, Wes, (recently joined MCM as "Kit Karson") with a picture attached of a resin '33/'34 Panel body mocked up with fenders and wheels and asking me if he sent it to me would I build it? Well, Absolutely! I've wanted one of these bodies for years because my Dad has a real-deal '33 that we're building for him. I can't thank Wes enough for his generosity!!! Not only did he send me the body (which I think is Hendrix?) he sent me a complete Lindberg '34 Pickup donor kit.

This is gonna be a close replica of how we're building my Dad's real one. The basic plan we have is a dropped axle to get the front down a couple of inches, a legit '57 Chevy 283 "Power Pack" hi-po 4-barrel engine with an adapter to a '39 Ford 3-speed trans and the stock '33 rear axle, 30's Ford wire wheels with big & little bias-ply tires and to leave the patina'd dull black exterior finish as-is. Now, my Dad does have a few "fantasy, money no object" things he'd do if it were possible like find the parts for and rebuild his incomplete '57 Rochester fuel injection unit and  put a Columbia 2-speed accessory rear axle out back for overdrive on the highway. Since this is a model I'll be adding those things.

DSCN3933-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki 

IMG_3238-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_3239-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

After a few hours of raiding my parts and kits, here's a layout of most of the pieces I'll need.

DSCN3937-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

This body is quite nicely rendered. The overall shape and layout of the body lines is very accurate as compared to a real one. The only thing that has me puzzled is the rear windows? I'll be grafting in the rear window openings from a Revell '37 Panel kit which are dead-on correct. I can also then use the glass inserts from the '37 kit which will be nice.

DSCN3942-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The Lindberg (formerly AMT) '34 Pickup frame and chassis parts leave a lot to be desired so I'm going to be heavily upgrading it. I will be changing out the center "X" for one from a Revell '40 Ford. While in real life they are very different, the '40 "X" is the best thing going in scale for a detailed "X" that actually looks like a stamping with flanges, holes, etc and can be easily cut-in to the '34 frame. I'll also be changing the rear cross member and using the Columbia 2-speed rear axle from Revell's stock '40 Coupe combined with the spring/radius rods and rear cross member from Revell '48 Convertible. Up front I'll be using the dropped I-beam axle from Revell's newer '29/'30 A hot rod kits.

DSCN3940-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Wheels, hubcaps and front tires are from AMT's '34 5-Window Coupe and the rear tires are Monogram '41 Lincoln. The rear wheels will need to be deepened a touch and wrapped in .015" strip to fit the Lincoln tires but no worries, done that before.

DSCN3946-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The basis for the 283 engine will be from Revell's '57 Chevy Black Widow. I will cut the trans/bell housing off and using the one of the Chevy-to-Ford trans adapters pictured. The top one is from Revell's Ed Roth Tweedy Pie T and the lower (better) is from AMT's Parts Pack Chevy engine. The trans will be cut off of the flathead from Revell's '37 Panel.

DSCN3947-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Speed parts! The engine will be accessorized with the Revell '57 Chevy Black Widow Rochester fuel injection, AMT Double Dragster Corvette valve covers, Revell Parts Pak 421 Pontiac Spalding dual-coil distributor and 50's style Hedman Hedders from (I think) MPC's '32 Chevy Cabriolet.

DSCN3945-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I managed to get the thing balanced on some tires for a basic mock up. The rear will come up some but the front will be about like this. Just like the real truck is gonna be, not too low with some rake.

DSCN3950-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Tons more to come. Comments welcome!

B)

ADL,

You are very welcome, Brother!  It is the Hendrix's casting of the '34 Panel!. You're right, MCM Forum needs a Rod & Custom section dedicated to Hot Rods & Custom Cars scale builds!  Maybe with enough support the MCM Forum management and the MCM Members will sway the Administrator(s) to create a proper category for truly purpose built Hot Rods and Customs... -KK

Edited by Kit Karson

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 4/7/2020 at 7:59 AM, Kit Karson said:

ADL,

Just checkin' in and following up on the '33 Panel project... any update for your fine followers? -KK

On 4/7/2020 at 8:21 AM, espo said:

Ya, I saw this pop up and had wondered also. This was off to a great start. 

This one is coming back around in the rotation but heading down a completely different path. I’ll start a new thread when I get going. 

On 4/11/2020 at 3:19 AM, Dennis Lacy said:

This one is coming back around in the rotation but heading down a completely different path. I’ll start a new thread when I get going. 

Now you have me totally wondering what is going on in your hot rod mind!?. -KK

On 4/13/2020 at 1:22 PM, Dennis Lacy said:

Think late 70’s Early Times club style cars. You know, two-tone paint, ornaments and Tru-Spokes... ?

Ooooo!  Two-tone paint, ornaments and Tru-Spokes... all the best of the 70's!! SBF & Chrome goodies, too?!. -KK