Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

scratch building header question

I want to learn how to make my own headers for a project I'm thinking about. I've tried youtube but I'm not finding anything. Would anyone know where I could find some how to videos or tutorials. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you.  

I bent mine out of soft aluminum armature wire.  size was determined by scaling down from 1:1 dimensions.

I set up a bending jig...laid out & drilled the port spacing as well as drawing the angles for the tubes.

All bends were made around a piece of dowel rod for consistency of shape.

autocrosscoupe394_zpsiemzri8i.jpg

header on the bend jig.

autocrosscoupe385_zpsec2dhzse.jpg

autocrosscoupe387_zps1rqtvllp.jpg

and on the car.

autocrosscoupe391_zps1k2zluwu.jpg

autocrosscoupe392_zpsjv0vuiqt.jpg

autocrosscoupe404_zpsupys4wkx.jpg

autocrosscoupe423_zpsvyzasqy6.jpg

Hi Anthony,

What scale do you have in mind?

Some of the pics just above show a large scale model, like 1:8 or something.  If you want 1:25, then the easiest way is to use 2mm solder wire.  Super easy to bend,and these pretty much are a scale 2" pipe used for big block motors.  Just you'll have to dip the solder core wire in hot water for a few minutes to let the flux leak out, then with an appropriate bit (read small) drill the soft metal end to seal the flux holes.  Otherwise, in a warm environment, the flux will eventually leak out and the ends start to get really gummed up.  A real mess.

I've had great success with 1:25 header pipes using this method.  Look here, several years back, still good;

photo 1-Final 3-8_zpspnh45lzm.jpg

motor 9 photo post-13335-0-24627300-1420395544_zpsjmk3g8n2.jpg

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Sometimes it is quite possible to use kit headers and modify to fit. The ones I used on this build, I found in the '67 MPC Malco Gasser kit. I had to make the pipes a little longer in order for them to reach out over the frame, and you can see the joint where I added a short piece of 2mm plastic rod.

The only real scratching going on were the collectors, - and the long end pipes bent out of aluminum tubing but those were easy. 

Hi Anthony,

What scale do you have in mind?

Some of the pics just above show a large scale model, like 1:8 or something.  If you want 1:25, then the easiest way is to use 2mm solder wire.  Super easy to bend,and these pretty much are a scale 2" pipe used for big block motors.  Just you'll have to dip the solder core wire in hot water for a few minutes to let the flux leak out, then with an appropriate bit (read small) drill the soft metal end to seal the flux holes.  Otherwise, in a warm environment, the flux will eventually leak out and the ends start to get really gummed up.  A real mess.

I've had great success with 1:25 header pipes using this method.  Look here, several years back, still good;

photo 1-Final 3-8_zpspnh45lzm.jpg

motor 9 photo post-13335-0-24627300-1420395544_zpsjmk3g8n2.jpg

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Michael,

Thank you for the tips I really appreciate them. I wanted to build 1/25 scale headers. They will be for a pro street project. I was hoping to make them so that the collectors would be exiting out the bottom of the front fenders like a outlaw car.