Model Cars Magazine Forum

Homebuilt Guitar Appreciation thread

iamsuperdan

This is what 's on my bench right now. Three on the go, very early stages of the rebuild process right now.

IMG_20170308_1911192_zpstnb8s4dv.jpg

All three are late 80s BC Rich Platinum series guitars. Very underappreciated, and as such are somewhat inexpensive now. 

All will be stripped to the wood. Luckily, no major dings or dents to fill in any of the bodies. The reverse headstock neck is kind of a unicorn/holy grail, so that one is getting extra attention. Will be refretting that one and replacing the markers with Luminlay. I think it will be going on the white body

• Like 1

Two out of three! The single pickup is a very early Rave. Yeah, the bargain basement model, but had the same neck as the Platinums, and the body is virtually identical to the ST.

BC Rich is my go to brand. Not including these, I have eight of them, including a Gunslinger. :)

Not bad.....Not sure why I added a 3 to ST.  You'll have quite a stable when these are done.

Back in the late 80's my drummer bought a Bitch for his girlrfiend [Appropriate I assure you]. It was super nice. All gold hardware, neck thru, maple top with a Floyd and all the knobs. A real looker like she was. She dumped him but kept the axe. We saw it at the music store maybe a year or so later. I've never seen Mike so pissed. it really affected him. We rehearsed later that day and with the proggy stuff we were doing he was all over time wise which was not like him at all. A real Peart disciple. I'll bet that guitar is worth some money now. I think it's the only BC Rich I have ever played. I was a Jackson/Gibson player then, still am. Here is my Jackson Warrior. I put an FU block in it and it really helped. I swear by these things. My ESP has one in it now as well. 

war1.jpg

war2.jpg

Love that Warrior! I only have one Jackson, a COW7. Absolutely love it.

ST-3 is the official name for those, so you're correct. I always just call them an ST though. Not sure why. The BCs are incredibly underrated. Everyone assumes that becuase of the wild shapes, they're a one trick pony. Good for metal and nothing else. Find a nice Bich or Mockingbird, and I think most people would be surprised at just how good they are. I have an NJ Warlock for around '87 and it surprises a lot of my friends with how nice it plays and sounds, and how comfortable it is to play. Nevermind that it's pointy and pink in colour!

I've been slowly upgrading all of my Floyds with the FU-Tone big block. I go with the brass L block. I have one of their PMS things too, waiting to go in something. Will see what kind of a difference that makes.

I saw that PMS thing in the latest issue of Guitar Player. It looks like a winner. The pick up being mounted solidly seems like a tonal possibility. I know for certain that the blocks actually do something tonally, as I have tested them and it really makes a difference. The L block was/is something I am considering on my project Jackson for this summer. I have an original non fine tuner Floyd for it and the L block seems like a sure fire upgrade.

Not bad.....Not sure why I added a 3 to ST.  You'll have quite a stable when these are done.

Back in the late 80's my drummer bought a Bitch for his girlrfiend [Appropriate I assure you]. It was super nice. All gold hardware, neck thru, maple top with a Floyd and all the knobs. A real looker like she was. She dumped him but kept the axe. We saw it at the music store maybe a year or so later. I've never seen Mike so pissed. it really affected him. We rehearsed later that day and with the proggy stuff we were doing he was all over time wise which was not like him at all. A real Peart disciple. I'll bet that guitar is worth some money now. I think it's the only BC Rich I have ever played. I was a Jackson/Gibson player then, still am. Here is my Jackson Warrior. I put an FU block in it and it really helped. I swear by these things. My ESP has one in it now as well. 

war1.jpg

war2.jpg

Nice looking Jackson..

• 1 year later...
14 hours ago, KWT said:

image000000.jpg.e37ee6a96b0a1fb880364ba2cf4032fc.jpg

Finishing up my kiddos graduation present... Warmoth strat. Alder with a maple top.

That quilted top is a thing of pure beauty! Seems a shame to put a pickguard on it, but being a Strat, you kind of have to!

Your boy is lucky!

:)

So the black Warlock I posted above, in a bench pic is slowly becoming a proper guitar. 

I'm actually building it for my daughter, using her design input.

Here's a sneak peek.

One repair step, and one with the new finish added. Yes, those are unicorns. Just wait until this one is done!

20180615_175539.jpg

20180616_105755.jpg

I have rebuilt several garage find guitars.

One a early 70's Harmony that a member of my sons band had planned to destroy.

Rebuilt a ups Fender knock off Jazz Bass for my son.

Currently have a DIY bass kit that seems to be a cross between a Jazz and P bass that I found at Goodwill for 25 dollars!

• 2 years later...

I'm dragging this thread from the depths and bringing it to the top.

Just finished two guitars kits. 

The first is a headless kit. This is from a Canadian company that shall remain nameless, and was horrible. The fret markers we're aligned well, the nut was installed wrong, none of the frets were level, the body took a ridiculous amount of work to make smooth. And to top it off, a couple of paint experiments completely failed. So finally, I just threw it together. The paint is Chevrolet Dark Torreador Red. I added a kill switch from Iron Age, and some Luminlay fret markers and side dots. After a LOT of work, it's done. It's far from perfect. but it looks okay (especially in the dark,) and actually plays well and sounds pretty good now.

20201104_191124.thumb.jpg.96409eb9c8e4524093b0de8ceece239d.jpg

20201104_191130.thumb.jpg.7c4ea1f5def278c46e40c8d3ace674c1.jpg

20201104_191149.thumb.jpg.e054a971e8e44e985da2f63afc7dd11f.jpg

20201104_191200.thumb.jpg.a92575472049df3650f263f3407441a9.jpg

20201104_191230.thumb.jpg.3d4ece4d7b69feb03789bdddc2de54eb.jpg

20201104_191258.thumb.jpg.77d961c8f3a7764b4478b3b20f679661.jpg

This second one is from Pit Bull Guitars out of Australia. An Explorer 5-string bass that I built with my boy. He's 16 and plays the drums and the bass. The Pit Bull kits are fantastic. This is our second one, and I have two more on the bench right now. The wood is almost flawless. Required very little work to make it smooth and ready for paint. The neck needed nothing at all to make it playable. We painted in GMC Storm Grey and put a matte clearcoat over it. Strings are DR Black Beauties.

20201104_191417.thumb.jpg.53a737d34284dd0896cd18fbefbbda37.jpg

20201104_191425.thumb.jpg.955401aa1e4e0722db3ca8a5bba31736.jpg

20201104_191456.thumb.jpg.d01b2812b842f4e190968911d04ab6bf.jpg

And here's a sneak peek at the next one. It's an Explorer 7-string. I must admit, I nailed the paint on this one. GM Summit White with a black headstock. Streaked Ebony fingerboard.

20201108_114427.thumb.jpg.03995a9a87c8fd0e2c926dabee20a6f3.jpg

For those wondering, the logos on these are my dad's signature. Jim Clark. He was the reason I got into guitar in the first place, and always encouraged everything I did with music. Bought me music, taught me about the stuff he listened to when growing up in England. Took me and my band to bars so we could actually play some shows while underaged. So when he died in March 2019 from brain cancer, I knew I was going to do something guitar-related to honour him. So now, every guitar I build will have his sig on it. even the ones I build for others. Company name I guess. 

:)

2 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

I just finished an LP kit recently, I just went for a vintage look.

5-string?! Now that's a little different for sure!

I haven't built anything yet that had a nice enough top to just stain and leave visible like that. Definitely want to try it though.

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

5-string?! Now that's a little different for sure!

I haven't built anything yet that had a nice enough top to just stain and leave visible like that. Definitely want to try it though.

I've got very fat fingers so I built it with 5 strings to give me a little more room to fret chords. The top on that is a veneer but it looks pretty good. I left the finish kind of satin because I wanted it look like a worn guitar.

12 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

Glad you brought this thread back up. I have been thinking about building my son a bass from a kit. I have no clue what to get as a first kit. I am handy with tools and paint, and enjoy working with wood.

I highly recommend Pit Bull Guitars out of Australia.

https://www.pitbullguitars.com/bass-guitar-kits/

Last Christmas, we got my son the Jazz Bass kit. it went together beautifully and plays and sounds great. Shaped the headstock to look like a Fender, and added the Fender decal to the headstock.

20200319_144758.thumb.jpg.a0a9f3c0ea3f2e781fc1f449ad244503.jpg

Since then, we finished the Explorer bass kit above, and two more Explorer guitar kits are on my bench. Everything you need is included, including strings, allan wrenches, and a cable. The instructions are super easy to follow and you could have the guitar built and playing within an hour of receiving the box if you wanted. And the shipping is crazy fast, less than a week from Australia to Canada. 

• 3 years later...
15 hours ago, KWT said:

Reviving an oldie but a goodie...

Got this buttoned up and even gigged it over the weekend

relic guitar.jpg

That looks killer Jeremy.  Also, thanks for reviving this thread.  I’d never seen it before.  Some great looking stuff has been posted!

I’ve been building guitars since the mid 90’s.  Here’s my last build from about a year ago.

IMG_1996.thumb.jpeg.7d7f74d346817165fb556d31e38e0332.jpeg

Got into amp building several years back too.  I built this Mojo Tone 1 watt amp last.  Love this thing!  It’s like having a 1watt Marshall JCM900

IMG_1465.thumb.jpeg.81c6865950761ea8efe4ab5ead42a29e.jpegIMG_1461.thumb.jpeg.1979e336f44f442fa2ea8bb29a4fff06.jpeg

• Like 1