Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Summer Pause?

I'm sitting here looking at my modeling bench and noting the distinct lack of activity that has taken place there over the last month. I expect there's probably a good layer of dust forming now as I type this even.

My question is, does the onset of spring and summer give you pause in your building? And how much time during the good weather months do you get to build? Perhaps the latter question is geared more toward those in the more temperate climates. :lol:

I personally build so slowly that progress is measured in one or two models a year (mind you, this is not because I build well, just slow). When spring hits that means I'm in the yard moving dirt and gravel, building decks, or painting the house. I honestly enjoy this sort of work almost as much as building little cars, but I can't help but feel guilty that my attention is so completely focused elsewhere. The building ideas don't stop coming to me, but the time to execute is limited by my other interests. :lol:

It does slow a bit. More limited to the evening hours. Spending all day in the hobby room almost never happens during the summer, too much other activity going on. Like you we have a house with a lot of unfinished projects going on, but I still try to get a least a few hours in a week.

I tend to build more over the summer then in the winter months. I have three weeks off coming up in July. so that will be prime building time, since i'm only working 20 hours a week. with $4.00 a gallon gas I won't be going any where

Summer time brings fairly high temps around here as well. Usually ranging from high 80's to high 90's with a few days in the triple digits.

All the same, it feel stuffy in the house on those days so my first instinct (if there's not anything to do outside) is to move very little. :lol:

It's very hot here in the summer, A/C costs a fortune, I keep the thermostat up pretty high and my basement workshop is the coolest place in my house. Needless to say, I enjoy building during the summer months.

yuppers, same here! I usually build in my room but sometimeas I like to go to the basement, COOLER! That's also where our slot car track is. :lol:

Edited by Nick F40

From May to October, almost no building takes place here. It's my time to enjoy the great outdoors. I do a lot of hiking, mountain biking, camping, fishing, etc, not to mention the yard work and garage projects. This, combined with my typically slow building pace limits my production to about two models a year. During the summer I still think of hitting the model bench, but if the sun is shining, guilt takes over and I'm in the woods or on the beach again. I don't mind, its all good.

I take a month long brake from the show's and building every year around this time. I have to re-charge my batteries and get re-motivated. This is the time where I stock up on supplies and just think about what I am going to build for the next year. I got a major show coming up in the first week of June after that it's back to business for me.